Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thing that really annoys me sometimes. I have been wondering about when people feel sorry for you because they might think you are weak in some way..... the question is is this good or bad?? that is, are they doing it in a bad way or a good way.

I had a moment like this today when i was doing some assignment in school and i didnt understand one thing. I then decided to ask the girl i sit next to about it but i stopped mid question because i had understood what they meant in the assignment and she said: "you know, you can ask me if you want it is ok." and she said it in a voice as she was talking to a ten year old person(i am 16 and she is 15 btw lol). This made me realize that they must look at me or us or whatever like we are some kids lol or do you know what i mean?? its really weird and annoying sometimes.

there is also another moment, when i was in my first year in high school (15 years old, thats how it is in Iceland) when the class was playing number bingo and each and every person could only say one number and no one could re-use one number and it were numbers from 0-100. I wasnt really paying attention to the game because of the anxiety and suddenly the teacher asked me to choose a number and i always chose a number that had been used becuase i hadnt been paying attention to what numbers were already on the tablet. I got more and more nervous until i gave up finding a number that wasnt there, i was so red in the face and embarrassed, i felt horrible, then one guy said: "werent you paying attention?" and another girl said:" awww i feel sorry for him" . Well i didnt want this to become an essay but i just dont like when people feel sorry for you becase they think you are weird or something..... does someone feel the same?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I can relate. I feel as if people talk to me like i am a child a lot of the time even though i'm 28! It makes me feel retarded and patronized. I just want people to treat my like a normal human being because treating me like a baby makes me more conscious of my anxiety.

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
I feel the same way. That's why I hate school so much. I get the impression that people think I'm pathetic because I'm always by myself and quiet and when people talk to me they put on a voice, I can tell because it's different when they're talking to their friends or people who are known to be talkative and outgoing. Experiencing this makes me feel worse than ****. :no

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
When people talk down on me like I'm a child, it really sets off my SA. It makes me feel inadequate, like I'm the smallest person in the world that will never match up to others' superiority.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hate it too, although it does happen less, now that I am 37 and the mother of 3.

As for being perceived as weak...are you kidding? The fact we are still alive and breathing despite how hard it is, is testiment to just how strong we actually are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts