Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long did it take you to get approved? were you rejected the first time? do you have any disorders besides sa? please send me a pm or email if you are not comfortable posting. thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess there's not many people with sa who are on disability, or at least not on this forum anyways. btw, the reason i asked for pm or email if someone doesn't want to post isn't because i think being on disability is shameful or anything of that sort, in fact i admire and aspire towards it myself, but was because i am aware that some here may be afraid to post because of online anxiety. i have not received any messages unfortunately, thus my first statement, again unfortunately. i personally feel that we all, those of us with this disorder, deserve to have all our material needs provided for by the government, even if we can work, although many, including myself simply can't, merely as recompense for our suffering. i'm sure many will not agree with this but i'm also fairly sure that they probably do not share my particular worldview, or view on life.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
You might find more results if you use the search feature. I know there are a few people on disability on the forum from reading past threads.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
This applies to the United Kingdom only.

You can get on Income Support within two weeks if you are unemployed for any reason and have enough National Insurance Contributions, or you are under twenty-five.

The amount is £102 per fortnight.

This then after a year goes up to £122 per fortnight.

To claim income support for illness you need a letter from your doctor, if you are on it long term you need to go to a meeting with ATOS ORIGIN who are a company who basically assess you. I was in the room for literally two minutes.

In order to receive Incapacity Benefit, which is a higher fortnightly amount, you need to have made enough National Insurance Contributions.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
I'm getting 340 dollars per month at the moment from the state because I'm 'Unemployable'. It's a program that gives the money PLUS insurance to see a psychiatrist and get medication or whatever. You should look into your States social services because you might be able to get help while you're waiting. They are also helping me apply for Disability and they think I'm qualified to get it. I'm expecting to get rejected but I really don't care if I am. I hear it's pretty much standard to be rejected at first.

For Rachelynn, what was the process like for you when you were denied at first? Did you have to make an appeal in court or anything like that? If it came to that point for me I'd likely just give up and not go. I'm getting nervous just thinking about that and it isn't even a reality right now.

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
For Rachelynn, what was the process like for you when you were denied at first? Did you have to make an appeal in court or anything like that? If it came to that point for me I'd likely just give up and not go. I'm getting nervous just thinking about that and it isn't even a reality right now.
The first time I applied and got rejected, I did not have my mental health issues added to it, only my physical problems. But of course, yeah most people get rejected on the first try, that is probably going to happen. For me, I didn't appeal it...I waited a year or more before I reapplied. I kind of thought that I didn't want to try anymore after the first time, but I changed my mind and saw a social worker (also was sent to a psychologist later on) then it was accepted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm on the same as britisharrow. I was on it for a few months then went for the evaluation but because it was so generic (you get asked questions about physical disability even when it's not applicable) I got taken off of it. I wrote a fuming 3 page letter as an appeal and I've been back on it ever since. I don't like being on it but without it I don't have a hope in hell of surviving at the moment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
disability

The first time I applied for disability it took six months, but then after a year, I went back to work to give it another try. Three years later, I realized I really needed to be on disability, so I tried again. That time, because I had been working, it took over a year to get back on. If you really think you need it, don't give up. The process my be long, but in the end it is worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts