Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

alien monk
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't really thought about SA for quie a while. I'm doing quite well, making phone calls sometimes, feeling more confident - but really it's only because I've arranged my life in a way that I don't really need to do anything to avoid situations that are going to make me anxious. My girlfriend had a friend over just now and my problems are:

1) I get extreme anxiety when a stranger is invited into my home by someone else - I got this when I was living with my parents and a certain relative came to visit quite often. Now my girlfriends friend is causing this, so I could only stay in our room while she was here. I get crazy fear when there is the possibility of having to face someone who has been invited in by someone else and who I don't know very well. I feel like I can't escape and like my home is being invaded. Its startling for me to feel this level of anxiety now.

2) I suddenly feel jealous that she can talk to her friend so easily, even though I know shes been trying quite hard lately to make friends and has few.

I'm not sure how to deal with this - its not gonna happen that often so its not too bad, and I can just stay in our room untill they leave. I'm just worried about feeling such strong anxiety when I haven't had much for quite a while. Its got me thinking in a really negative way which sucks.

Registered
This is very common thing for people with SAD I wouldn't feel bad about it.

If you want to get over it though maybe try meds and getting out in the open when someone comes. You don't have to say anything, you could be pretending to read a paper, or use a computer, or whatever, but just push yourself into that space and try to let go of the running away instinct. Remember even if you don't have a word to say to someone you're allowed to be around them and feel comfortable, us men aren't known for being chatty anyway.

Registered
I dont have this problem so much..

What I do have is high levels of anxiety when a friend is in my house.. specifically in my room. My room is my private space, its almost like an invasion of my mind when someone is in there.

Its one reason I dont have birthday partys.

Registered
This is a problem for me too. Growing up, I hated it whenever my parents invited their friends over. I always ended up hiding in my room until they went away. I also have the same issue as Gordon2108, I hate other people being in my room.

Only way to get rid of it is to face the problem head on, just start going out into the occupied room when someone is over. It takes a while, but the anxiety does start to fade.

Registered
I also feel a lot of anxiety when people come to my apartment. When my kids had their friends over when they were younger it didn't bother me as much but now that they are older I get anxious when they bring their friends around. I guess I'm just an introvert and my home is my safe place. When my friends come over, which isn't often, I try to act comfortable but they have no idea that I'm a complete wreck inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts