Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is being quiet and wanting a little alone time such a terrible thing? I'm very introverted, I like to eat lunch alone, and recharge. Talking to people wears me down. People assume I'm stuck up and conceited because of this. I definitely can't tell them about my S.A. That would be the end of me at that job. I work at a coal plant, so you could imagine the abuse I would take, if I admitted to something like that. Lol

Advice? Should I just tough it out?

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Former Industrial worker here, ehh no they have some "macho" culture and probly wouldn't understand.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As long as they're joking, it shouldn't be a problem, try not to get bothered by it! :) People always assume the weirdest things when they don't understand someone, so you being quiet probably just gives them something to pick on you for!

·
Banned
10,878 Posts
Grow some stubble , dye your hair orange .. ... then walk into work with some replica handguns .. and start yelling .

Do this on April Fools , of course .

Like this :

·
still delicious
3,038 Posts
pretend to read an autobiography of ted bundy during lunch break and tell me how it goes.

edit: biography. whatever.

·
ΓΤΖΜ
3,732 Posts
Why is being quiet and wanting a little alone time such a terrible thing? I'm very introverted, I like to eat lunch alone, and recharge. Talking to people wears me down. People assume I'm stuck up and conceited because of this. I definitely can't tell them about my S.A. That would be the end of me at that job. I work at a coal plant, so you could imagine the abuse I would take, if I admitted to something like that. Lol

Advice? Should I just tough it out?
I imagine the "abuse" would be less than the abuse hurled at you now. Personally, I can't imagine anything worse than being called those things. But if you're ok with it and you can see the irrationality and stupidity of it all, then that's fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Plenty of people have called me evil in the past. I used to get bullied in high school for being a loner. Now I just laugh it off.

·
Registered
566 Posts
People do this to me all the time. I always just laugh with them. There isn't really anything else that can be done unfortunately.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
Damn sounds tough man. Yeah just tough it out I guess, or go along with it they'll stop eventually.
I used to work Construction when I was 17. The Mexicans were always so cool it's the ****ing blacks and whites who try to act way too macho. Most were cool but if they were acting tough they were black or white

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Yep, I know the deal.
They aren't worth knowing.

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
Damn sounds tough man. Yeah just tough it out I guess, or go along with it they'll stop eventually.
I used to work Construction when I was 17. The Mexicans were always so cool it's the ****ing blacks and whites who try to act way too macho. Most were cool but if they were acting tough they were black or white
I've worked construction and their is a lot of racial divide for whatever reason... It's probably because you were Mexican that you got along with the Mexicans and got **** from white and black people... I got alot of **** from Mexicans when i worked construction (but that had a lot to do with the fact their was like.... 3 or 4 white guys, 3 or 4 black guys, then 15 or 20 Mexican guys).

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Ha wouldn't they be afraid of you if they see you that way?? Just call them pigs. I remember having to deal with coworkers who would mistreat me and guess what, I ended doing the same to them in return. Just ignore them or if that doesn't work, I know a lot of people hate doing this but you can tell them that if they don't stop with the name calling and the bullying which they are doing to do, you will tell the boss what's going on. These people are harassing you and them getting away with it is not fair. They need to be put in their place. I remember a much older man was harassing me when I attended college. I ended up telling my dad about it and my dad came to speak face to face with that man that was harassing me. Needless to say, the guy was scared of me and never bothered me again. People who bully continue to do it because they know you won't do anything about it. It really confuses me why a lot of people won't stand up for themselves whenever anyone treats them unfairly. Whenever anyone decides to do that to me, it makes me very angry for them to view me as someone not worth taking into consideration. So I stand up for myself by defending myself and say whatever I could think of that will get these idiots to understand that I'm not going to tolerate their BS. You should try that.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Grow some stubble , dye your hair orange .. ... then walk into work with some replica handguns .. and start yelling .

Do this on April Fools , of course .

Like this :

This does not look like James Holmes. I heard there were two guys involved and I heard they got the wrong guy. WTF. This case is still unsolved in my opinion.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Ha wouldn't they be afraid of you if they see you that way?? .
Its male mentality, they are putting him down, Perhaps not really bullying on purpus.
If they actually thought he was some Psycho that would come to work with with a gun they wouldn't do it...

Of course there's always one idiot that ruins the show, but normally...

And about telling on them... He would be an outcast! They would put fire on his locker, and such...

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
If your work has some sort of HR department, complain to them.

You shouldn't have to deal with workplace harassment.

·
the last song ♥
2,414 Posts
say hi to the people so they know you can speak xD

·
Looking for an argument
2,335 Posts
Kill them all, then you'll have the last laugh.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
So you other guys in these type of MALE works... Do you have like fixed places at the lunchroom or such?...

Ive noticed this at some places when i grabbed an empty seat, the "owner" is like "i normaly sits there". i tried different responses:D... One was "ohh ok" and then i continued to eat. And he didn't know what to do, think he left the lunch room, which was weird because it was like 12 empty other places :um

1 - 20 of 24 Posts