Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a new job at work, and the team of people that I work are all very social and outgoing. The team is always chatting and laughing away about something, of course me being new and my SA I find it very hard to join in.

They all have lunch together everyday (I don't join in), go to the pub on Friday (I don't join in), etc ..etc.. its not that they don't invite me, its just my SA is so bad I can't make myself to go. I just don't know how to hold or start a conversation, unless its about work related matters which of course is boring. I don't talk about personal matters because of my avoidance (who wants to know about someone who is a hermit and doesn't go out or do anything outside work).

They must think I am a weird quite guy, which is true really. sigh :(

Anyone in similar boat?

·
Its dawn here
6,082 Posts
I too feel like m a wrong person for office life..people are very outgoing,shopoholic n enjoying their lives...i just wonder how can someone be so happy...'

We have lunch together daily n m mostly just listening to them,i dnt have any interesting topic to plunge upon..

·
c'est moi
5,889 Posts
I recently started at a new job too and we had a holiday party today. I felt like everyone was talking to each other and I was just wandering around looking awkward. I don't know how to butt in to conversation groups...or I'm too apprehensive to do so. Ugh! So yes, I feel ya. :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Say hi, and bring in donuts or some other sort of food. It makes for an interesting conversation starter, "Hey do you like to cook?" Mmm thanks, ect. It takes the focus off on yourself and gets people to come to you.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
How would this work.?..all the quiet "weirdos" working at the same place..would they make conversation with each other?

·
Registered
195 Posts
same at my job. everyone is so loud and outgoing and i'm just there like:
i just feel so alone. how can these people be so comfortable around each other? blehhhh.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I was the quiet one for a while. People started slowly asking about myself and what not and now my coworkers are my best friends. Got respect for being a hard worker and whatnot. Even dated one of them and may or may not decide to ask someone else. Maybe tomorrow idk.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
I am, except I don't care, I don't want to have friends at the job, I am only there to work, I don't consider it a social environment, distractions only cause mistakes and goofing off, the greetings there are bs talking, nothing to it

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm the same. everyone is laughing and only me alone and quiet. don't have the courage to join them. any idea about how to join them?
I already try to talk to them in person but they seems not interested..
Idea above about giving them cookies I'm afraid that will make them think I have some purpose or weird..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts