Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will paxil make you gain weight?

I've put on a lot of weight and I'm sure its not all the paxil i'm sure sme has to do w/ the fact i spend to much time on the computer, not making healthy choices when i'm eating, and not having any water thro the day.

I was wondering though if anyone can tell me if they gained weigh on paxil and was it a large amout of weight? I've never been as heavy as I am now :((

·
Registered
128 Posts
I started paxil and birth control around the same time. Both make you gain weight.

I'm also a first year college student.

So any of those three could be contributing factors in me gaining weight.

·
Registered
169 Posts
All my life I was always around 210-215 pretty athletic, I took Paxil for around 4-5 months and now I’m 240. I stopped taking it because it has too many side effects for me and the weight gain is brutal one, I’m trying to loose the weight now but its so dam hard. It might help with your anxiety but you will get a coronary from weight gain. =(

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Paxil didnt give me any problems with weight gain but more anxiety.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I have lost weight with Paxil. It energizes me.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I ran 20miles/32km a week when I started Paxil. I actually eat less, but still gained 25 pounds. Now, at 24mi/38.4km - I can't get rid of the weight unless I outright starve myself!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I gained a little bit from Paxil but I gained a lot from not exercising enough.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I gained a little bit from Paxil but I gained a lot from not exercising enough.
Exactly. I don't know whether it's a metabolism thing or just the laziness of SSRIs that causes weight gain, but you can bet your *** intense, regular exercise will reverse it. It's a fact that if you raise your metabolic rate and eat healthily, you will shed the pounds. Plus exercise is, y'know, a powerful antidepressant, so no reason not to!

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
I used paxil for a long time. The weight gain and other factors made me look for non-prescription ways to recover. If you really need the paxil, talk to your doctor about the lowest dosage you could take. Then learn about emotional stability to stabilize your thinking. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm on Lexapro, another SSRI and I've lost weight. I take lexapro (20mgs) and Wellbutrin XL 150mgs once a day, I've been on it since January and I've lost 20 lbs. And they were 'stubborn' pounds that I'd been trying to lose for a long time too: the last 15 lbs I gained while pregnant. Now I'm 5 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight, and I am quite thin. As a bonus, the Lexapro and Wellbutrin combo is doing amazing things for my SA :)

When I tried Paxil years ago I gained too, and became so sluggish and tired. I am sure it does something to our metabolism.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts