Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if anyone else has this problem. Often times I look back at really small, stupid, inappropriete things I might've done or said and I still feel guilty or shameful even if they were so small and they happened like 1,2 years ago and I can bet the person probably dosent even remember what I said. It contributes to SA cause Im afraid to make stupid mistakes or say something inappropriete in the future which holds me back.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Only everyday, and these memories make me physically wince. It helps to take the time to actually ask yourself questions as to the rational basis for that feeling. Then walk yourself through the evidence that goes against it. For example, when you think that you said something a bit too loudly the other day, ask yourself: Did anyone else really notice and if they did, do they care? Was it really inappropriate to say such a thing too loudly? Can I really never recover from this in the eyes of other people, or have I recovered already?

·
Sea of clouds.
223 Posts
I do this too. I still have experiences 5, 6 years ago that really hurt. I don't get guilt as much as regret though, that I could have done something else, and anger at the other party (most of these experiences have to do with people overreacting and yelling at me for things.)

·
Registered
210 Posts
You need to ask yourself if this is important anymore. It isn't and you could be right that the person doesn't remember what it was you said or did. Try and put it down to experience. Move on.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I've done a lot of things I feel guilty about. If there really is a hell, I'm going there for sure.

·
Banned
322 Posts
This is a common thing with SA, I will still look back on social blunders I made years ago and almost feel nauseaus worrying over them, even so long after the event. I know this is stupid, but there is nothing I can do to stop it other than try my best to push such thoughts from my mind.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't say I feel guilt but remembering embarassing things I've done at a later time can still make me cringe just as intensely as I did when it happened. I try to ask myself "If someone else did that around me, what would I think of them?" and most of the time I wouldn't think badly of it because everyone makes mistakes and does embarassing things from time to time. I don't know why I can't be so easy on myself, but thinking that does help a little.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Yeah, I have this problem too. Sometimes I ponder over things I did 15 years ago. They're quite insignificant, silly things, but they still make me feel bad about myself. Wouldn't it be great if we could just erase some of those memories?

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I don't really care about my past guilts now a days though I do find myself looking back at stuff sometimes and just cringing.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Constantly. It's the main problem. I beat myself up and beat myself down and expect the worst. Then get it. :(. And regret and guilt trip.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
Yep. I do this ALL the time. For example, in Grade Four I was giving a speech on Pelicans, and I had lost a page of my speech. So I had to stop abruptly in the middle of it, get down on the ground and spread out all my pages. Here I am frantically sifting through the remaining papers, scanning their backs and fronts, trying to find where I had left off. Suddenly the classroom erupts in collect condemning laughter. I had to gather my papers and do the walk of shame back to my desk.

There was another time, also in Grade Four;

It was Valentines Day and my classmates were giddily trading Valentines. I'm skulking at the back of the classroom, afraid to hand them out because I thought the kids would laugh at mine and think they were stupid. But the teacher forced me to hand them out, and I walked around, half-heartedly throwing them at the people they were intended for while crying.
As if I wasn't getting enough unnecessary attention, she made all the kids line up in front of me and tell me they were cool.

:flush

Whenever I think of any of these things (there are billions more) I have to snort, scoff, inhale loudly, exhale loudly, scratch my leg, cough or sniffle in order to try and physically take my mind off of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts