Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I'm seeing a therapist for my Social Anxiety and our CBT sessions seem to be going according to plan.

On a side note... My paruesis really really sucks. Does anybody know of any helpful resources I can find online? I've read on other forums about hypnotherapy mp3's.

I'm really interested in these and am wondering if anybody knows about em?

Also If anyone want's to share their story about shy bladder syndrome that would be great.

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
hi

Yeah,

well you may already know about it, but paruresis.org has a really good forum where people are very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Have you had any luck with recovering from shy bladder?

I'm 21, and had it at least since middle school and it still does really suck. Luckily I'd say my shy bladder is moderate, but by that I mean I can go to school or work (some people it really debilitates), but I'm still leery of any trip. Tuesday, I'm flying to New York. A five hour flight. Actually, I'm probably more worried about the two hour drive from there to the family reunion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my paruesis story

I've had extreme difficulty using public restrooms as for long as I can remember. throughout elementary school I would just hold it in, which unfortunately led to extreme discomfort by the end of the day. I never told anyone and apparently nobody noticed/cared. in high school I used the restroom when nobody else was using it (which only happened during a certain time before lunch, but even then couldn't use the urinal. After much practice and relaxation exercises over the past year I can now actually use public restrooms when other people are there, but only if I am in a calm and carefree state of mind.

I find it to be largely a matter of convincing your conscious and subconscious mind that the people around you are not a threat to you and getting yourself into the same state of mind that you are in when you are alone. This is a good thing to practice anyway, as I've found that the easier it gets to pee in a public restroom, the easier it gets to act confident and social in all other situations that necessitate it.

Here is also an interesting essay about the topic: http://www.tonyahardingshotjfk.com/apocalypse/shybladder.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had extreme difficulty using public restrooms as for long as I can remember. throughout elementary school I would just hold it in, which unfortunately led to extreme discomfort by the end of the day. I never told anyone and apparently nobody noticed/cared. in high school I used the restroom when nobody else was using it (which only happened during a certain time before lunch, but even then couldn't use the urinal. After much practice and relaxation exercises over the past year I can now actually use public restrooms when other people are there, but only if I am in a calm and carefree state of mind.

I find it to be largely a matter of convincing your conscious and subconscious mind that the people around you are not a threat to you and getting yourself into the same state of mind that you are in when you are alone. This is a good thing to practice anyway, as I've found that the easier it gets to pee in a public restroom, the easier it gets to act confident and social in all other situations that necessitate it.

Here is also an interesting essay about the topic: http://www.tonyahardingshotjfk.com/apocalypse/shybladder.html
I just read that article and found it rather amusing :D

Thank's for the laugh.

As for me. I find going while i'm drunk or somehwat intoxicated is a lot easier. If anybody stands beside me at the workplace bathroom its impossible for me but on occasion when my mind is wandering It just happens.

It seems like going to the bathroom si a chore. So many triggers go off in my brain. Is there anyone in the bathroom? if there is I have to find an empty stall, will somebody walk into the bathroom just before i release my urine will I stop?

etc etc...

I'm currently doing CBT for my social phobia and can't afford seeing somebody for this so hopefully I can conquer it with resources found online.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Ah, shy bladder, an SAS classic. This topic comes up every month. It's a standard just like fear of phones & haircuts. And I'm personally familiar with the problem -- having often waited for others to finally exit a public restroom so that I can actually manage to pee. Hard to feel like a real man or an adult when simply taking a piss is a great challenge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts