Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I just joined this site to find out a bit more info about social anxiety. I don't have it myself (I'm bipolar actually - it's been HELL but I'm pretty stable right now) but I'm fairly certain my boyfriend does. We've been together for a year now and he gets really bad anxiety in general but especially anything to do with social interaction. I think he's finally doing something about it. I tried not to push him but to be honest, it is one of the things that has really affected our relationship.

He's finally going to the doctor tomorrow (first time) and he SAID he's going to ask about meds so I was doing some research about them. I'm on Cymbalta for my bipolar and I think they use that for anxiety as well. I've found I tolerate it quite well compared to other meds I've been on.

In any case, I may be butting into some threads asking questions - glad to be here! (when I was younger I had some pretty intense anxiety in social situations myself but I seemed to grow out of it. Not sure if that's just an age thing or has to do with all the anti-depressants I've been on over the years - maybe a bit of both).

·
Cynical Idealist
1,339 Posts
Welcome mausketeer! I'm glad you've been dealing well with your own problems. Be patient with your boyfriend - it may be difficult to get guys like us going out, and we may be extremely stubborn sometimes, but we really want to get past this, honest. I'm happy you've convinced him to see a doctor, but keep in mind that there's other ways to fight SA than meds, and many doctors seem keen to push pills right away. It might be worthwhile to try and discover why he has SA before he starts taking medications.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, Mausketeer! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey mausketeer welcome. :hyper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.