Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Usually, I just get smashed so I don't have to deal with the anxiety of attending these. I think I'd do fine if I had some Adderall, but I can't get a hold of any on such short notice. So... how do you guys deal? Do you ever put yourself out there and force yourself to attend gathering full of people you don't know?

I'm going anyway, but words of encouragement would be nice. I can't remember the last time I went to something like this, and this time I'm really not keen on getting black-out drunk and making a fool out of myself. The latter option - acting like a normal person, conversing - is very intimidating, though.
I don't force myself to do that, in fact I love being with other people, if only my 'friends' were to invite me to parties.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I always force myself to go to parties but I have never in my life had a good time at one. I either leave after an hour because I can't handle the anxiety or I get blind drunk, pass out and spend the next week depressed and regretful aout how much of an *** I made of myself. I honestly don't know how people handle them let alone have fun at them.

·
sad panda
675 Posts
I was invited to a party last night, but I was way too nervous to go. Too many people I don't know, and someone I have a crush on were going... blah. I should have gone, but my anxiety is way out of hand right now, and I didn't want for said crush to realize I'm boring and quiet. I need something to take the edge off, more than say phenibut or ativan. I might have felt better once drunk, but the period before hand is sooo hard to deal with.

But to make up for it, I'll be having a small party in my place with friends :) that should be fun.

·
Registered
113 Posts
sadly alcohol just makes me ill if i have too much so it's no crutch for me where parties are concerned.

I don't go...i can't take the stress. Plus i have no friends so i'm never invited to any anyway.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I haven't been to a party since I had a horrible panic attack at one. :/

·
Registered
153 Posts
i went to one 2 weekends ago and passed out at the party lol it was embarrassing but hey, small steps right? that party was the frist one i been to in like 5 years, i cant wait to go to another one...meeting new ppl is scary, especially when you only know a couple ppl in the whole house....but its good for you, im trying to put myself in places where lots of ppl are and so far its going very well, im always nervous but the more you put youself in challenging places, the easier it is...like last night i went to a club, i was only looking for my friends, turns out they left but either way...i never go into places like that by myself and i did last night...last year i never would have done, hell even up to about 3 months ago iw ouldnt have

·
Registered
296 Posts
I went to a party yesterday with my best friend who is awesome, but when she gets drunk she is super extroverted and jumps around from person to person talking to everyone. And at this party it seemed like everyone knew everyone, or that people there were part of some group so they could always have someone to talk to. I found myself on the sidelines after a while, so I went outside for a walk DURING the party. Never done that before! I just needed a break to clear my head after a few hours of being around a lot of people. But you know what? I did good. I talked to a few people that I didn't know, I danced with my friends, I came to the party and I enjoyed myself. So no matter what happens, you're ok 'cause you're working towards getting yourself out there. No matter what you do, you're putting the effort in towards becoming comfortable in those situations, and that's always helpful.

·
PessimisticallyOptimistic
25 Posts
COURAGE JUICE TO THE RESCUE

I got a Love-Hate relationship with parties. I too get drunk beyond reason in order to avoid the awkwardness of saying hello to a girl I don't know.

How do I deal?
More booze of course!

Somewhere in between buzz and hammered is a stage of intoxication in which you are relax and in control (somewhat). Whatever you do, do it in that stage. I like to leech off my friends' conversations with other people. Once you leech off into your own conversation with someone else, try to incorporate other people around you that might be listening. Also... On your way to the party, listen to something that will get you motivated to socialize.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
I have to go to one this weekend and I'm worried. I can't drink because I'm on Zoloft now and everyone's going to ask why I'm not drinking. Awkward. x_x

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
Hmm I am on zoloft and was never told I could not drink :S Tomorrow I am going to the city to drink which I have not done for years because it is ground zero for my anxiety so it's a big step for me.

Funnily enough drinking makes me worse when I an anxious, I am fine once drunk the the period between when I start drinking and drunk is terrible if I am not comfortable.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
I've read that it isn't recommended, but yeah, I guess it would affect everyone else differently. I don't think it's a great idea for me since alcohol already affects me easily.

·
Banned
18 Posts
hahaha... can you imagine a party with SAers?

It would be the most awkward and silent party you've ever been too.
:|
Haha I kinda pictured the same thing when I read that. I don't know though; maybe knowing everyone else in the room is also feeling anxious would allow us to open up more.

My problem stems from the fact that my boyfriend and his friends are extremely outgoing and when we all get together I find myself unable to join in the conversations because I'm worried about whether it's going to come out right or not, and it's difficult to keep up with the energy level they have. Drinking allows me to open up more, but then I end up saying stupid stuff I later regret.

It's a lose/lose.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i force myself to go to parties usually. well - assuming there's some people i know. lately i just don't enjoy them as much. it tends to always be certain settings, though. i go there and like seeing the people but after some time i just become a bit secluded if there's too much loud conversation going on that i can't join in on, even if i'm drinking a lot.
there's a party coming up on the weekend and i hope i will enjoy it since i know the person's house well and the people there. still a bit nervous, though.

oh, and to "prepare". i tend to have a drink before. not a lot, just one to calm my nerves. i take adderall too, but recently i haven't taken extra before going out and just have my usual morning dose. i might do that on the weekend, but i'm running low on extras annnnd i don't have anyone to contact for more atm. :/

it's great when a friend invites you to their house to pre-drink before the party, or just pre-drink when you meet somewhere. you can get buzzed or drunk and not feel like an alcoholic while doing it alone + you arrive with another person and not feel awkward when getting there and realizing you don't know anyone. win-win situation.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My problem stems from the fact that my boyfriend and his friends are extremely outgoing and when we all get together I find myself unable to join in the conversations because I'm worried about whether it's going to come out right or not, and it's difficult to keep up with the energy level they have. Drinking allows me to open up more, but then I end up saying stupid stuff I later regret.

It's a lose/lose.
I am in the exact same situation. Every time my boyfriend tells me we are going out with this friends, I immediately get a racing heart, get nauseous, irritable, can't breathe, etc, etc. until we get there. Then I clam up...and feel the same way, that I can't keep up and don't know what to say. So I too take a drink. It definitely helps me open up and drop the shyness a bit but then everyone gets a good laugh (friendly laugh of course, not mean) at how "chatty" I suddenly become (although I'm drunk enough at that point to not really care).

I would say those get together with his friends are the worst for me. In fact, one of them is getting married in about a month (300 guests!) and I'm already having major anxiety over spending a whole day socializing but there is no avoiding this one! :afr

1 - 20 of 20 Posts