Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pleased with myself for once so I thought I'd share...My boss had to go home to tend to a sick dog so I had to brief the rest of our team about what our division is up to during the staff meeting. Normally, with my INTENSE anticipatory anxiety, I would've had to fake being sick to get out of something like this. Today, however, I was prepared with my little magic pill called Propranolol.

I took 15mg about an hour before and amazingly - I wasn't that nervous! :boogie I was still a bit anxious, but when it was my turn to present I was completely confident - even straying a bit from the notes my boss had prepared for me. IT FELT GREAT! I think upper management has been testing me recently to see if I'm cut out for a higher level position. This performance definitely showed them I'm capable. For all of you who have intense heart palpatations, sweating, blushing, etc. when it comes time to do a presentation, I strongly recommend beta-blockers (specifically propranolol). It might just do the trick.

My hope is that if I do enough presentations without the extreme anxiety symptoms that eventually I'll get comfortable enough to where I won't need any medication. If not, oh well. At least I found something that worked. F ssri's. Good luck.

·
Banned
2,689 Posts
Maybe the reason you didn't get nervous isn't because of meds but because your boss wasn't there. Maybe your anxiety is related to fear of being criticized by authority figures.

Just throwing stuff out there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should've been more specific. My boss wasn't there but all of her bosses attended - that made it even more important to do well since I was representing her. That and they're all a bunch of military guys (I work for the Army).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I should've been more specific. My boss wasn't there but all of her bosses attended - that made it even more important to do well since I was representing her. That and they're all a bunch of military guys (I work for the Army).
Well that makes it even a greater accomplishment....good on you!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Have to say, reading this has surprised me as back when I was last taking Propranolol at work (3 times a day with 40mg tablets) I personally found that they didn't work to that extent. They definitely took the edge off my symptoms, but did barely more than that. All in all I found using distraction techniques more effective (at least short term wise) in calming myself down - though they were better than nothing. I guess it goes to show though - like lots of other medications - that the extent to which it works differs with different people!

Anyways, glad to know that you found it as helpful as you did and that the presentation went well. Well done! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts