·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Why are you on stelazine?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is supposed to work with parnate as some old maoi which was supposed to b a miracle drug but now of the market! I don't no the name but both these meds work the same at the med did

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I take Parnate. Parnate is very effective, though a significant number of people will not tolerate it well enough to continue (fatigue, anxiety, any number of possibilities). In moderate-high doses it is very powerful. It is effective for anxiety as well as depression.

Stelazine is an old-school, classic antipsychotic, D1 and D2 receptor antagonist, meaning it blocks dopamine from acting on parts of the brain involved in seeking out good or enjoyable things. I think it will probably make you less anxious but also feel numb and sedate, and possibly cause some undesirable longer-term side effects. To be frank: it sounds like a really undesirable medication, and there are LOTS of other medications far better suited to combining with Parnate. If anything, the stelazine is likely to decrease the effectiveness of Parnate.

Some modern atypical antipsychotics have mechanisms like serotonin receptor modulation - which can be psychologically helpful. Older "classic" neuroleptics like stelazine or thorazine do not, and tend to cause more problems and side effects. Sometimes.

This is just my noninformed, armchair opinion. I will admit I don't know what your doctor's rationale might be.

Step 1 is to make sure you are on enough Parnate. Try at least .7 mg/kg of it. You might go up to 1 mg/kg.

Step 2 If that doesn't work you can combine other meds - perhaps other than stelazine? Not sure what prescribing options are like in ireland but there are many good anxiolytic boosters for Parnate:
-benzodiazepines (i.e. clonazepam, diazepam, alprazolam)
-Lyrica (pregabalin) or Neurontin (gabapentin)
-trazodone
-mirtazipine, mianserin
-agomelatine
-Seroquel (quetiapine) in low doses
-Sleep meds, if that is an issue (zolpidem, zopiclone, doxepin, short acting benzos, melatonin)

If depression is a problem, even more options can be combined with Parnate:
-lithium
-thyroid augmentation
-Wellbutrin (bupropion)
-some TCA antidepressants (i.e. notryptiline)
-stimulants
-atypical antipsychotics i.e. Abilify (aripiprazole)
-Lamictal (lamotrigine)
-many of the meds listed under "anxiety" also help depression
-watch your vitamin D, B12, folate, and iron
-sometimes extra high doses are needed of Parnate

I hope my uninvited lists are somewhat helpful. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The old med was called parstelin I believe!! Your info is amazing to me & thank you for your reply I appreciate you taking the time & I will def be talking to my doc about new choices to use!! I used nardil before for my crippling social phobia & I'd score it personally 8/10 which for me is a miracle coz every other med I used I'd score 0/10 no joke nothing worked!! I gave up nardil as I came pregnant & insomina was cruel on it but god I miss been social!! It's a long day to hide indoors when it's everyday!! My doc want go above 30mg of parnate so sad!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Caedmon can I ask you as I have an event coming up!! I'm stopping stelazine today & telling my p doc next week! Could you advise me if I up my dose of 30mg of parnate to say 40mg would it help me through a whole day in public & cut back the following day

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Wow that was an actual, marketing thing way back then! Parnate paired w/ antipsych. Go figure.

Maybe you can consider going back to Nardil, if Parnate doesnt work.

I am not sure if bumping to 40 mg will help or not. try it at home first and see. I do this sometimes. However, sometimes i am just more tired that way.

Reactions: watertouch

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
I would advice against it. At that dose your'e at you start notice Bloodpreasure changes 30-50mg... Also the stimulating effect might increase which is not always good with anxiety...
Although antipshych probly reduces it alot..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Watertouch have you ever tried parnate on its own have you found it any good!! I'm losing patience with evey day

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Watertouch have you ever tried parnate on its own have you found it any good!! I'm losing patience with evey day
Yes i found it good, even though i sleept poorly, it was better then i feel "normaly" and it was better then any other antidep med i tried, and i tried a bunch... I dosed around 50-60mg split in two doses...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply watertouch just 1 last question cause I'm hanging in for positive news!!! How long before you found parnate to be beneficial or working in any way!!! Thanks in advance for taking time to reply!! Also any one else reading this can you give me an idea how parnate worked for your social advoient issues & did it take long to begin work!! Thanks

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
It worked kind of fast raised to 30mg at day 3...at day7 i raised to 40mg,stayd for a while, but thats when i really found it working. And thats when the MAOi effects starts working, BP changes and increased effect of the Parnates stimulating effects.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts