Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my first group therapy session starts in 3 hours and I am completely paranoid about going. I'm worried that

A.) Won't be able to really open up to anyone
B.) They're going to be mostly the opposite sex (where at least half of my stress comes from.)
C.) I'm going to look like a total wimp/loser
D.) If I do manage to say something they won't understand the socio-phobe thing.

Fun stuff.

·
Beneath the surface
164 Posts
Group therapy has helped me a bit. I have noticed I am not alone: there are other people whose childhood hasn't been exactly "perfect" either. Suicides, alcoholism, divorces, abuse etc.

I encourage you to go there.

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't do SA group therapy... I fear that they'd be thinking the same thing as I am, which could set off a panic attack in both of us, lol.
It's a general therapy group. Part of why I'm meh towards the whole thing. Granted I have general depression issues though.

·
Improving
987 Posts
It won't be so bad Speratus. They all have problems too and will understand and be sympathetic to any anxiety you have. Plus they will all be nervous like you and will be more worried about their own difficulties than yours.

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's just a general therapy session.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
When I first went to my therapist, he suggested group therapy. I did it for awhile, but I hated it. It was very hard to talk to people that I didn't know, and you are supposed to put your trust in them. After a long time, I told him that I just wasn't comfortable doing it, so we went to one-on-one. Then, not long after that, I quit going to him because he wasn't helping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts