Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have life disrupting paranoia wherever they go?
I see people looking at me and then I look over at them and they're not.
But I know that people do actually stare at me. People stare at everyone.
Have you noticed how much people look at others?
I feel like everywhere I go someones watching me. And its probably true.
But it bothers me a lot. I can't continue what I'm doing when these thoughts
Pop up. Sometimes I hear my name being called a lot but no one did.
or someone saying something about me behind my back.
I used to look for cameras in my room as a kid, and when I'm working out
at the gym everyone can read my mind and hear my music.
Always judging me. It feels like the movie the Truman show.
It could all be a big act that everyones in on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hmmm

Shakespeare once said, "All the world is a stage." I guess there is someone always watching all of us. I just don't think people really care what they see. Like when someone looks up at a person who walks into the room. Maybe you are putting to much emphasis on what people think. (?) I don't know. I am the blind leading the blind. I am certain no one at work wants me to succeed, so I really understand where you are coming from.

·
Lone Demon
1,330 Posts
There's actually a theory that the universe is hold together by being watched.
Something watching something watching someone watching something watching someone atching something watching someone and if it weren't it might all fall appart into oblivion.

True story.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Anyone have life disrupting paranoia wherever they go?
I see people looking at me and then I look over at them and they're not.
But I know that people do actually stare at me. People stare at everyone.
Have you noticed how much people look at others?
I feel like everywhere I go someones watching me. And its probably true.
But it bothers me a lot. I can't continue what I'm doing when these thoughts
Pop up. Sometimes I hear my name being called a lot but no one did.
or someone saying something about me behind my back.
I used to look for cameras in my room as a kid, and when I'm working out
at the gym everyone can read my mind and hear my music.
Always judging me. It feels like the movie the Truman show.
It could all be a big act that everyones in on.
I have this last part - and I HATE IT! :mum

I get freaked out when I perceive others being freaked out.

·
Reposed in awesomeness...
2,278 Posts
Just because you're paranoid that doesn't mean they're not really after you...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
104 Posts
I get paranoid when I go out, too. I think everyone is looking at me and when I hear people laughing, I'm convinced that they're laughing at me. I get so self-conscious and just get so uncomfortable. I try to avoid going out because of how it makes me so paranoid. So, you're not alone in thinking like that.

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Sometimes I think SA is on the schizophrenia spectrum with schizophrenia the most severe and sa one of the least severe disorders and disorders like schizotypal and schizoaffective in the middle between the two.

·
Permanently ******
1,723 Posts
Sometimes I think SA is on the schizophrenia spectrum with schizophrenia the most severe and sa one of the least severe disorders and disorders like schizotypal and schizoaffective in the middle between the two.
I think you're onto something there. However, I don't think it's that clear-cut where it all falls on a spectrum of least to most severe. I think that there's a variety of different faculties involved in schizophrenia compared to, say, SA. Perhaps some of the genes involved in SA might be implicated in the development of schizophrenia, but I think that's only a part of the picture of schizophrenia. A psychiatrist once told me that schizophrenia is like a combination of disorders coalescing into one.

Genes involved in the development of schizoaffective seem to be implicated in both affective (depressive, bipolar) disorders and psychotic disorders. As far as schizotypal, I'm inclined to agree that it is wholly in the schizophrenia spectrum, as it's been said that full-blown SPD is like a mild form schizophrenia, but doesn't usually require psychiatric treatment.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I think you're onto something there. However, I don't think it's that clear-cut where it all falls on a spectrum of least to most severe. I think that there's a variety of different faculties involved in schizophrenia compared to, say, SA. Perhaps some of the genes involved in SA might be implicated in the development of schizophrenia, but I think that's only a part of the picture of schizophrenia. A psychiatrist once told me that schizophrenia is like a combination of disorders coalescing into one.

Genes involved in the development of schizoaffective seem to be implicated in both affective (depressive, bipolar) disorders and psychotic disorders. As far as schizotypal, I'm inclined to agree that it is wholly in the schizophrenia spectrum, as it's been said that full-blown SPD is like a mild form schizophrenia, but doesn't usually require psychiatric treatment.
Interesting...

·
SASsy
18,107 Posts
People with anxiety disorders can be mildly paranoid. When the brain is keyed up all the time it tends to get that way. This is why cocaine addicts and meth addicts can get extremely paranoid. I tend to get a little paranoid. I don't think people are out to get me, just that everyone will not like me or accept me.

A psychology professor I had once said that they way you can tell if you are paranoid is to ask yourself this question:

If you're watching a movie and the people sitting behind you start laughing, do you think they're laughing at you?

If you said "yes" are you paranoid? The answer is NO! They could very well be laughing at you. Maybe you've got gum in your hair or something. Your shirt's on backwards, whatever.

BUT...

If you think the actors in the movie are laughing at you---YOU'RE PARANOID!

·
░░░░░░░&
1,042 Posts
this is why I have the webcam on my laptop covered with black tape because I feel like someone out there is watching me through my webcam. I'm not sure if thats possible but I will keep it on there just in case

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I used to look for cameras in my room as a kid, and when I'm working out at the gym everyone can read my mind and hear my music.
was there something in your youth which triggered this fear? Like a parent or sibling who invaded your privacy with the intent of humiliating you? (that was the case for me, so I'm jus wondering if it's the same for you)

People with anxiety disorders can be mildly paranoid.
good point. a sizeable fraction of SA is paranoia; we tend to be very confident in our ability to read other people's minds.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
was there something in your youth which triggered this fear? Like a parent or sibling who invaded your privacy with the intent of humiliating you? (that was the case for me, so I'm jus wondering if it's the same for you)
(I know this wasn't aimed at me.) When I was younger I had this weird paranoia that my stuffed toys could see me, and that--I don't even know what/who, God maybe?--could see in my windows, so I could only dance to my music with the windows fully covered, in total darkness, with the music blaring loud enough that nobody could hear me if I happened to sing.

Jeez I have issues, no wonder they think I'm schizotypal. ;_;

I was just always that way in regards to that kind of really irrational paranoia, no clue what set it off. My SA-related paranoia is more understandable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts