Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, if you (like me) have Panic Disorder, raise your hand.

Anyone agoraphobic? I'm getting there, unfortunately.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes, but fortunately i've pretty much beat it too. I was on meds and now am off them and doing ok. I nearly had a panick attack in the hallway at work on Thursday - but i didn't. I still have trouble in certain situations, but am dealing with it.

Are you on meds?

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's so funny, I'm the opposite. My SA and depression have gotten much better to the point where they are virtually disappeared but my panic disorder (which was only ever mild before) has snuck up on me lately.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So do you get full blown panick attacks? I used to depersonalize, and feel like i was in a dream state which made my anxiety worse because i could never remember what exactly i was doing and just hoped it wasn't something totally embarassing.

I wonder why you would fee better in some ways and yet the worst of anxiety is hitting you harder?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I was dianosed with agoraphobic, in the early 80s (you know Caedmon when you were still in plastic kid flip flops) I kept telling the "Dr" that I had pure anxiety that was crippling me "No, it's agor, and anxiety is causing your depression" well, we got one by on them, I was right;-) I've always had Sa, meds make life easier to live.

Caedmon, things are changing in your life right now.......The panic is probably a syptom.......I *think* and I don't know how to word this....That meds do help with the anxiety, some, stop the body from producing it, but, the body still feels it in some manner, so where does this go, has to come out, go someplace, make sense?

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a range of severity. The depersonalization I only get once every few weeks I'd say. Sometimes they are full-blown (usually for me that means tunnel vision and weird psychic disturbances such as kinesthetic wierdness, fleeting hallucinations, etc. And of course, loads of anxiety). Much of the time it's more "cut short" almost, and/or I'm able to deal with it cognitively before it gets bad. I've gone through the whole OCD, schizo, BP screenings routine and I (and my previous two shrinks) really think the psychic weirdness is due to PD.

Yep, I am on meds. Cymbalta, Buspar, Valium. They work great for everything else. If I were to make a med change I'd take more Buspar or Valium and see if that reduces the panic attacks, as those two drugs seem to be the only things that help me.

It is weird that it would get worse. :stu

·
Registered
994 Posts
PD? Watch me kick myself.........PD?

Can you pin point when this is going to happen, any feelings prior to........Can you "Trace" it to anything, time, event in your life?

When do the panic attacks come on, what triggers them? Free floating?

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PD, Panic Disorder. :twak :b

The panic is pretty random. I'd like to say that typically triggered by something but sometimes I will even be laying down at night trying to fall asleep and suddenly it hits me. It's triggered by feelings of anxiety, lol, I can say that much for sure.

Of course that does not mean it can't be triggered. Challenge me to ask out a cute girl and I will actually feel my arms and legs changing shape (like I said, psychic weirdness. They'll inflate and deflate rapidly, from the size of a compact car to razor thin.) Oh and I'll blank out, start to mumble, sweat, my eyes twitch, and I can feel the fires of hell opening up beneath me. And so on :|

hema said:
Caedmon, things are changing in your life right now.......The panic is probably a syptom.......I *think* and I don't know how to word this....That meds do help with the anxiety, some, stop the body from producing it, but, the body still feels it in some manner, so where does this go, has to come out, go someplace, make sense?
If I had to guess the cause of the increased PD, it would be that. My life is in a period of transition right now, between undergrad and grad school; I have a new job and lots more responsibilities in it. With less SA and depression holding me back, my overall level or baseline anxiety increases (you know, you get used to staying at home playing hearts on the computer every night).

Either that or some kind of dietary or physical thing. I've also had chronic diarrhea the past month which nearly always accompanies higher stress levels for me. That is of course why God invented large bottles of 100-count Immodium, so Praise the Lord.

I always discounted my PD diagnosis because I thought, "oh, well that's not so bad, just don't get carried away with nervous feelings. PD is cured." But when you have anxiety a lot, recurrent, and you're really proud of how often you DON'T feel it in social situations... well then when it does come on it seems to corner me.

I don't know if I'm making any sense here, sorry. Just kind of rambling really.

·
Registered
994 Posts
No, you're making sense...........No answers this way, I can relate very much so........

Give yourself credit........You're back in the world, after staying home and playing computer games, this is a BIGGY......A change like that throws a "Normal" person off........It takes a while to get used to.

The diarrhea, I'm willing to bet........As you said, STRESS and diet.......Don't know about you, I always feel better when I eat healthier, just doing it, is the hard part;-) And, no, Immodium, is not a food;-)

Right now......Don't think, don't even put any ideas in your mind, that dont need to be there......Don't worry about that girl (Unless that's part of what's causing the stress)......Don't put any unneeded stress on yourself...........Don't worry about social settings, unless it's the work "Thang".........I can relate to that as well......If someone starts talking to you.....Find something to question them on.....That takes the "Burden" off you to make conversation;-). You know what.......You will probably never know, unless it's a fluke.....You could be working side by side with someone that feels very much like you;-))))

I really hope you see how far you have come, are going, with SA and Depression.......

And, yes........I should have picked up PD;-))))

·
Registered
311 Posts
the bathroom thing is a symptom of panick and quite common. I read about it quite a while back, as well as indigestion (which i constantly struggle with). Someone told me about gingerale as a remedy to the indigestion or ginger in general being added to the diet to help aleviate the acid. Its works great! I drink it whenever i wake up in the middle of the night burping like crazy and within minutes i can go back to sleep in peace.

I've had my instances where my anxiety is bad on some days and i've had to make emergency trips to the bathroom (usually at Walmart). It makes it more intimidating to go out for some only aiding agoraphobic tendacies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been dealing with a few panic attack symptoms for the past year on and off. There have been times where I felt my head was gonna spin out of control and I couldn't breathe right. Once I hyperventilated, but since then nothing has been that harsh.

I usually feel anxious and feel like my head has a bunch of adrenaline, but that's as far as I get now, thankfully. I wish it was non-existant of course! lol

I feel really bummed that some of you struggle with intense panic disorders. I wish you guys the best in your healing process.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ive had panic attacks too and that brought on everything else. i sometimes feel like i'm here but not reallt here if you can follow ? like is that my hand? or those my feet? sometimes i feel like my head is a baloon and it goes for a quick float a nd the comes back, i haven't had a big PA for a few months but everyonce in a wile i get the twinge. :afr and then it goes away. writing this and letting it out sure helps. :thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't think I have panic disorder because I don't have too frequently but I had panic attacks before.I tell I feel for someone who gets them all time because the first thing I thought was happening was that I was dieing. I heart goes crazy and I loose control of my breathing.They all occurred while on my way to work and they last about 5 to 10 min. I had to stop the car. Good thing it was late at night.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My case is a bit different because I don't belive that I have extreem agoraphobia yet, but I've never faced the world on my own before. Whenever I leave home I go with my mom or dad. I have never drove to a store on my own. And the last time I went to school on my own was when I was in the 9th grade. And that is pretty sad because I'm 20 years old. I've thought about this for a few months now, of how to handle the agoraphobia when it shows up. I've had panic attacks while I was at home before, but they are rare for me there. When I drive I panic and it isn't because of SA, it's because I fear the anxiety and then I panic, and because I can't escape.

My SA is less than it used to be and thats when the agoraphobia gets worse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
touch of gray said:
ive had panic attacks too and that brought on everything else. i sometimes feel like i'm here but not reallt here if you can follow ? like is that my hand? or those my feet? sometimes i feel like my head is a baloon and it goes for a quick float a nd the comes back, i haven't had a big PA for a few months but everyonce in a wile i get the twinge. :afr and then it goes away. writing this and letting it out sure helps. :thanks
I still don't understand that, where you feel like you're in a dream-state. I've never had that happened to me.

Do I really witness panic attack symptoms? All I feel is my head rushing and feeling like I can't breathe normally and this only lasts for a short time. BUT, most of the time I am trying my best to relax and prevent any symptoms and that takes a lot of effort sometimes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.