Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally made this thread in the Secondary Disorders subforum, but I don't think it actually qualifies as a secondary disorder, it's definitely just a part of anxiety.

I often have panic attacks and I want to ask who else suffers from panic attacks and what are your coping strategies? For me I need space immediately, and if I can keep myself from hyperventilating I can get it over with pretty quickly. I've been thinking about trying to learn meditation and breathing strategies for dealing with them.

What are your coping strategies when you feel one coming on? after it's already started?

·
We all deserve something.
1,786 Posts
I've always had a hard time with panic attacks, it use to be a lot worse than it is now though, I use to be unable to go to movies, out to eat, or anywhere with a closed space, it would always seem to cause a panic attack, personally I don't have a specific method I would use, the only thing I try to do is take deep breaths in and slowly breath out while saying "it's gonna be ok" in my head, that seems to help a little, also getting out of the situation that is causing the panic attack helps also, but for some reason I always force myself to stay, like in a movie theater, I'll start having a panic attack and the smart thing for me to do would be to leave, but I don't which feeds my anxiety even more because I get the thought in my head that I can't leave, I don't know I'm weird :b

Also, now that I think about it, I went to the doctor about my panic attacks, and he prescribed me xanax, so when I'd go to a public place, I'd put one pill in my pocket, just as a comfort to know that I have it in case I need it. (of course I never actually took it because I was always scared of taking pills and how they would make me feel which would cause a panic attack)

but yea my panic attacks arent that bad anymore, it seemed to lessen a lot by itself, I still get them every now and then, just not that often. I hope you find a method that works for you, I know how terrible panic attacks feel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts