Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had numerous small panic attacks recently in, what seems to be, innocent social situations (mainly just before entering the classroom at uni and about 5 minutes after entering). I never used to have this problem and it scares me (the only other time I can recall was in 8th grade where I had a major incident with intense dizziness and I couldn't see and walked right into a door). I try to calm myself down, but it only makes it worse. Do any of you guys have this problem and if so how are you dealing with it? Because right now I'm not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have panic attacks too, but not really social anxiety related. I understand how awful they are and I'm sorry you have to deal with it too. Sadly, I have no idea how to prevent them, but there's things you can do to help alleviate them. Basically, you have to try to "ground yourself" as best as you can. Since panic attacks usually happen when you're anticipating a bad situation, you need to take your mind off of all that and focus on the present. When you feel yourself starting to panic, just sit down and try to only focus on things like your breathing, notice what you smell, hear, what you physically feel. I find it helpful to make lists of these things in your mind. Most importantly, notice that you're safe and alright, that nothing bad is happening to you, and keep reminding yourself this. Tell yourself that you know this will pass. If all this still doesn't help, try tensing a muscle in your body and hold that for 5-10 seconds, then release the muscle slowly and do the same thing with another, and repeat this until your body feels more relaxed. I hope things get better for you.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think that i've only had one major panic attack. I do have mild panic attacks occassionally though.. the last i can remember was in august, i went for an interview with my new college tutor and i was shaking, breathless... i always feel like that in those type of situations. I remember when i was about 11, i had just joined high school, and just when i thought i'd had enough, a girl said something to me like "go away, no one wants to talk to you".. and i could barely breathe, i thought i was going to die. It was horrible. I do get a little nervous when i go into class now. I am in college and everyone is really nice, but i still get a little nervous when i walk in.. nothing extreme though. One thing that i can't do is go into a class late.. if i'm 10 minutes late (or more) for a class, i will go and sit in the toilets until the class is over, because i absolutely hate walking in, and realising that all of the pupils and teachers are staring at me.. and then they question me... argh.. the meer thought is horrible. Try taking deep breaths, drink water, and remember, everything will be ok.. SA is a pain :(

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for not responding for so long! Thanks for your advice; I appreciate it. It's a bit better now, but I will give those relaxion exercises a try.

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
I have this problem as well, Xanax has seemed to help take the edge off. However I'm still uncomfortable, and tremors hasn't improved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts