Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New study shows people with panic disorder are more likely to develop heart disease. Well you know it will probably be the same for Social Phobia especially for those who get the intense anxiety, heart pounding doing presentations for example. The study says panic disorder people are less likely to die from heart disease though, but that may be because people with panic disorder see their doctors often which may not be the case for social phobics who may avoid doctors.

Link...
http://www.zeenews.com/sci-tech/health-medicine/2008-12-19/492221news.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not true. This statement was posted on a different anxiety forum about the same topic, and here's what one person had to say:

"Firstly, all the research was done on post-menopausal women so age is a determining factor.

Secondly, when they say you are "twice as likely to have a heart attack or stroke in the next five years" they are not talking about 80% compared to 40%, they are talking about 4% compared to 2%. In a sample of 3369 women, this could easily be circumstancial.

Thirdly, the results were altered to factor in other health problems, none of which were detailed in the news reports.

And finally, the research was carried out by GlaxoSmithKline, a leading manufacturer of anti-anxiety medication and the same company that was responsible for distorting the reports linking Seroxat (one of their brands) to teenage suicides."

These are facts; draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^This was just in the news today it was a UK study and in the article I posted the link to it doesn't sound like the same study you are talking about. No mention of post-menopausal women for instance:stu.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,157 Posts
Yeah, this is not true just from a common sense take, no offense poster. But other factors such as eating habits etc come into play. So many people self medicate with alcohol, drugs etc that just saying "anxiety attacks cause heart attacks", heck I'd been dead 20 times over. I used to worry about this very things tho'. :lol

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always thought that the real intense anxiety attacks could not be healthful for you. And then a while back I read something that convinced me. It was that the fight or flight response gears the body up to well, fight or flight during which, fight or flight take your pick, the stress hormones that flood the body are burned up. However giving a speech or most social situations there is no vigerous physical activity to burn up the stress hormones so they linger and damage the body. Reminds me that in the Dr.Richards tape/cd series he suggests exercise to burn up stress hormones, I think for anticipatory anxiety.

If this study is true though maybe some good could come of it, like doctors taking anxiety disorders more seriously. Maybe better treatments eventually.

·
Registered
813 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts