Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this happen to anyone else here? How do you manage?

I had a panic attack while I was at the cash last week and I am so afraid it will happen again. I don't want to bring it up with anyone at work because I'm afraid that a) they would think I'm making it up or b) they would think I am unfit for the job. I kind of am unfit for the job, but I don't have enough money saved up to quit. There are no jobs available in my area that aren't customer service.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I used to have panic attacks at work but now that I can feel them coming I can duck out for a few minutes and fight it off with my mind. I guess you don't have that option if you are working at the cash? Do you drink a lot of caffeine? That used to trigger it a lot for me, once I cut back on coffee (especially if you are in Canada, Tim Horton's is the worst) they became more manageable. I actually told my manager about them when he was trying to move me into dispatch, I told him I have some anxiety issues and cannot deal with that environment and we worked something out where I would help for about an hour at at time. He was very cool with it and didn't tell anybody or act like I was unfit.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've scaled back my caffeine intake enormously, and it's definitely helped with general anxiety. That panic attack the other day really came out of nowhere.

Maybe I'll bring it up with my boss, just so she knows what's up.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
if you feel like you are in good standing with your boss its probably ok to bring it up. however if there is some kind of conflict or they just don't like you for some reason I'd keep it to myself. I told my manager because we have a very good relationship and I know he values what I bring to the table.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
When I was working, I would have panic attacks and I'd be so angry because I'd have them when trying to work. Luckily, the people I worked for (who I told I had SA) were very nice and told me if I felt strange or weird in any way, I could go take a little break and come back. I always felt bad for taking those breaks, though, because I apparently was the only one. The more I got comfortable with the job, the less panic attacks I had.
A lot of jobs in my area are customer service, too, so it's kind of hard to avoid them, but if you could find maybe an office job or secretary type job, if you're comfortable with phones, that could be a way to avoid having them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts