Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I'm sure a lot of social anxious people have in common is paleness. Anyone else haunted by a complexion so white that Casper himself would feel a tinge of envy?

I hate it, sure the "pale and interesting" can only hold my self esteem together for a short time but I'm bored of being pale. And the worst thing is that once you're very pale, it's a hell of a challenge to get to a decent colour again. I look like I've walked off the set of Dawn of the Dead. The summer is the worst, I want to tan but I'm so self conscious about how pale I am that I just cover up my glow-in-the-dark limbs when I'm around all the super tanned beach babes :roll

Just last week, I was walking home on a busy street when a man old enough to be my father walked right up to me and in an extremely aggressive tone went "Oi, you need to get a bit of ****ing colour, love" :mum *******! He doesn't know how much I'm ****ing trying.

So I decided It was getting me down so much that I went and bought fake tans. I felt so ugly and self conscious about my boring, cold and white complexion that I took the plunge and tried it. I felt pretty good after, I actually had a colour...

...The next day, I went to college and everyone was making fun about how orange I looked. :no

I give up... I'm either laughed at and made to feel ugly because im so pale or I'm made fun of for looking orange when i try to do something about it. I can't win!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am usually pretty pale too, considering I don't get out much and HATE my body. I started going to tanning salons awhile back. Having a tan makes me feel better about myself and not as self-conscious. Actually going to the salon though is huge for me. It takes me weeks to get the courage to go to one and buy a package. Tanning salons are generally filled with really beautiful girls and seeing really attractive people makes me feel ****ty about myself. I always feel like I don't belong there, that other people are talking about how I don't belong there etc. once I actually buy the package though I find it easier to talk myself into going because I have spent money on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know how you feel. People seem to like to point out how pale I am. I tried the fake tanners too, but I also had the orange issue. :/ I can't tan because I just get crispy, and heaven forbid me going out in the sun with anything revealing on. o_o;; I'm just too self-conscious about my body to do that.
I've decided to embrace it because I enjoy the gothic subculture, where paleness is seen as something very desirable. Wearing a lot of black and dark colors does make pale skin look very enchanting, in my opinion anyway. :b

The best advice I can give is to go to a more private area, like a balcony or porch, and sunbathe for a short time. Work up a tan slowly in comfortable surroundings. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Personally I find a pale complexion to be quite attractive :D
... though being a ghostly pale guy myself might have something to do with that :um

Anyone who would dislike you based on such trivialities is shallow and a waste of your time. You don't have to conform to their standards; just be yourself, even if it means facing ridicule or disapproval. Conformity will just leave you feeling empty inside.

Don't let them get you down; pale is beautiful~ :mushy

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I like being pale. I can't really explain why. It's unusual, maybe?

I think embracing it is more attractive than trying all those fancy tanning things or spending hours burning to a crisp to try and cover it up.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Try looking at the positive side of things. Personally I find pale women attractive and secure of themselves since they don't have to follow every single modern trend in order to fit in. I hope this fad dies pretty soon.

·
Perv Ranger #17
54 Posts
I used to feel the same way about this- I started going to tanning salons just to get to what I felt was a "good" color. I mean sure, you could microwave and U.V Ray yourself into leather-tan skin, or you can embrace that you are naturally fair and that's BEAUTIFUL!
I have freckles and I'm quite fair, but I've learned to embrace it. If we want to, we can get a tan, but those naturally brown girls could NEVER get our complexion. :)

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Paleness is beautiful TOO. Having "porcelain" skin is a lot more attractive than looking like a leather boot.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I like being pale, personally. I got tanned once, working outside in a hot summer, and it was ok. I'd never go to tanning salons - all those who use them are going to be wrinkly before their time!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Tanning is overrated by society, don't do it just to be up to their standers, if being pale bothers you then sit on your roof and read a book if you don't like the beach.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm surprised so many people like pale skin! I hate mine, I sometimes catch myself in a mirror or window reflection and I feel so ugly and ill looking. I can't stand pasty white skin on me, i think i look awful. I don't use sun beds by the way, by fake tan I meant the bottle stuff. I'd never go under a tanning bed and damage my skin, i'm too scared of wrinkles. :)

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I think it's another case of wanting what you don't have, like eye colour or hair style and whatnot. People with naturally straight hair love curls, people who are naturally pale want a tan, and so on.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Paleness is beautiful to me. I've seen a guy so pale his skin looked like milk and he looked gorgeous like that.
Most tanned people I see (and I see a lot of them in California) look orange or have a strange look to them. Plus, tanning in the sun isn't very healthy. It ages the skin. I have a built in tan, so I never have to worry about it, anyway.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty pale. I don't know if my skin looks like "milk" but it is pretty white.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
I'm very pale and even though I do like girls who are also pale (or who are darker, whatever) I feel like it makes me look sickly so I do try to get some sun when it's warm out but its tough to do since I have no one to hang outside with and due to my crazy work schedule I don't have much free time anyway. Run-on sentence anyone?

·
Vann of the Dawn
81 Posts
I have to be filed in the "Oh yes... she's pale!! Does anyone have her number!!!" category. (of course I would never do anything with the number except sit in a chair petrified with fear as I stared at the phone...) but now that that's over with...

This is another tale of "People Are Jerks!" If they weren't making fun of you for being pale or an oompa loompa (no hurt feelings intended), then they would make fun of you for being shy or some other petty reason. This makes them feel good. This way, they can tell themselves they are happy because they aren't (insert whatever trait you want here). That oldie would have something along the lines of, "Oi, you need to wear high heels, love" or some other mindless dribble. Take it from me (though "me" isn't exactly a reputable source), don't take these people seriously. They're people. People are in the torturing business... especially social. The kinds of people to point this out to anyone aren't worth your time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't go to a tanning bed or layout in the sun. Pale skin is prone to getting skin cancer and you also risk premature aging. I think that pale skin can be beautiful too. If you want to be darker, try the gradual tanners. They aren't as drastic. Just be careful when applying that stuff. Don't just slop it on in thick layers. If you do, you will be orange and streaky.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts