Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, my name is yaniv.
i have a social phobia .
i tried allot of drugs like ssri, maoi, snri, tca.
and its not been so helpful.
now my doc gave me Syntocinon nasal sprays.
he told me to take 10 iu in a time and the bottle gut only 50 iu.
its means that's the bottle have 5 dose and its cost a lot of money here.

i need help...

u said that "The effects by sprayed lasts all but three minutes" ?
what ?! i been told that its taking 45 min to take affect and the affects stays in the body about 10 hours.
what is the true ????

i steel dont know if its helping me. but i am checking for other options like take pictocin (Oxytocin Injection) by injection . is it giving the same benefits like the Syntocinon sprayed directly into the nasal cavity ??

or maybe to take the Pictocin (Oxytocin Injection) and sprayed it like the Syntocinon. do i will get the same affects *** the Syntocinon sprayed ??

please help me
yaniv

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
Oxytocin does not cross the blood brain barrier, or does so in insignificant quantities regardless of the amount taken

It will not have an effect

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Oxytocin does not cross the blood brain barrier, or does so in insignificant quantities regardless of the amount taken

It will not have an effect
That's right if taken orally, but yaniv1512 was talking about the nasal spray which increases brain oxytocin levels. To help with social anxiety really high doses are needed and the effects are short-lived. Long acting and potent oxytocin agonists like intranasal carbetocin would be much more useful, but I think they stopped the clinical trials (for autism...).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7412438.stm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=oxytocin%20social%20phobia
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19246160

·
Registered
501 Posts
This post caught my intention because I've been interested in Oxytocin after reading about it on Wikipedia quite by accident while researching what chemical changes take place in the body after an orgasm!

It seems Oxytocin plays a prominent role and is why people feel so relaxed and nice after having an orgasm.

However I agree with Zeeshan, that due to the nature of this chemical, using it as a treatment for SA seems next to impossible. Firstly because it has a very short effect and secondly because it does not cross the blood brain barrier as the last poster pointed out. And obviously its extremely expensive.

Pity.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
However I agree with Zeeshan, that due to the nature of this chemical, using it as a treatment for SA seems next to impossible. Firstly because it has a very short effect and secondly because it does not cross the blood brain barrier as the last poster pointed out. And obviously its extremely expensive.
I agree with the short duration of action and high doses needed, but disagree with the BBB aspect in case of intranasal delivery which provides a method of bypassing the BBB to deliver oxytocin to the brain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts