Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister and her husband spent christmas with me and my family, she came over from Western Australia, I'm in Victoria. My sister has only been married to her husband 3 years, and he was diagnosed with motor neurone 18 mths ago. It is an awful advancing disease as time goes on, the nerves to the muscle from the brain stop working and muscles are wasted, and eventually they die from respiratory failure. At the moment his leg is dragging, his speech is inaudible{he talks with sign, and a speaking machine, has difficulty chewing cause his tongue wont move, but he still eats, soft food. I can hear when he swallows his is having difficulty swallowing his saliva. All this is going to get worse in the next 6 to 12 months until he is a drooling mess in a wheelchair, unable to move a muscle, and death will be his demise. I get so incredibly sad but only after he leaves, he seems so optimistic, and thinks he is not going to die, death is from 2 to 6 years, I've done the research on the net.
He was such a vital life loving person, and such a happy and lovely person, he made you want to be around him. I cannot comprehend any of this, and I panic cause this disease advances all the time.
My sister found her soulmate too late in her life she is 47 he is 48, and it will be cut too short. I need some spiritual support, I believe in God, and this world is full of so much pain and grief.

Jenkydora

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
:( :squeeze :hug

I want you to know, your suffering matters to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that, Jenkydora. I can't imagine what it must be like for you all. I hope you will remember that Jesus walked in this world of pain and grief, He experienced it and can understand what you are going through. And most of all that He is near to you and cares deeply for you and your family. I'll be praying for you and your family.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
I'm sorry to hear. I have seen someone like that at my congregation. I'm not sure of his paticular condition and I think he uses a breathing machine and cannot talk.
The scriptures talk about when we would live in "critical times hard to deal with". (2 Timothy 3:1-5) and (see also Matthew chapter 24.)
The first couple Adam and Eve sinned and brought upon us illness and death. (Genesis) That's why there are so many sick people.
But it is only temporary.(Revelation 21:3,4) Someday we will not have to see these things.
Take care and have hope.

Anxiety28 :)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My sympathies to you :hug

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is why I love this place so much. The love and support is always here amongst poeple like yourselves. I never have to worry about how I come across with problems I struggle with, thanks for your prayers, thoughts and concerns.

jenky

I know this sounds selfish. My brother in law and my sister have returned to their home quiet a few thousand kms away, and his illness seems just a little easier to bear, I dont see him struggle each day to do basic things, that we take for granted like swallowing our food and drink. If I think about him too much I just feel so sad for him and feel hopeless and get depressed for days, I gave him a goodbye hug and told him not to give up, he said he won't, those with motor neurone who accept mainstream medicine and sit back only last 6months to 2 years. Ihope he is one of the rare ones who live a dignified life 10 years or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts