Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn it, I hate to bring this up, but does anyone else feel like if they just lost some weight their lives would be better? I notice so many of you are good looking and I wonder if anyone struggles with their darned weight the way I do. I am able to do social things despite my weight. When I'm already feeling depressed is when I think about it, then I think, if only I'd lose some weight I'd have a better job, more friends, a happier marriage (even though my husband finds me beautiful). Does anyone really accept themselves, knowing their body mass number? or healthy weight for height number, is higher than it should be? This is very hard for me to talk about, because I don't want to admit I have a problem, but if I don't, I just sit here feeling sorry for myself.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Losing weight is a great start to feeling better, but it won't cure everything else.
Basically, it'll make you feel good enough to tackle something you wouldn't have before, like apply for a better job or whatever. And once you do that, then those things combined with make you feel good enough to tackle the next thing on your list of things you want, and so on...until you have a really good base of things to feel good about.
If you think losing weight is worth it, then I suggest seeing a trainer. They aren't that expensive and they know what they're talking about. Losing weight is actually quite easy and you can eat a lot more than you think, and still lose weight.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you feel people are noticing your weight etc?
People never say anything to me, but I think they are thinking what a slob, and I feel like people can see my pain through what I look like, and it bothers me, but not when I'm in a positive mood. Then I don't even notice it.

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
I think it's the same for me... I think my anxiety was partially caused because of me being overweight for almost all my life.
The weird thing is, I know a lot of overweight people who have a social life, boyfriends/girlfriends etc. but I keep telling myself that I'm "not allowed" to have those things until I lose weight.
It's one more way to keep myself from going out there and doing something.
I lost some weight maybe two years ago, but I'm still far from what I want to look like.

·
wooden hippie nice
1,639 Posts
I don't have an issue with my weight but I do think I can understand where you're coming from. My skin is covered with acne scars from years and years of breaking out as a teenager, which greatly affects my confidence. I hate that I do it but I do often find myself thinking about how much easier things would be 'if only' I had 'normal' skin. I just can't feel as though I can be happy when I'm so torn up about my appearance and struggle so much to acknowledge that people could actually look past/not be bothered by my scarring. I've undergone one skin treatment and plan to do more in the future, but progress is extremely slow and I know that I'll never be able to get rid of my scars completely. People always say that you just need to accept yourself and realise that appearance isn't everything, but I'm finding it so hard to digest that to the point that I'm no longer so bothered about it all. I sort of feel as though were the problem solely internal, then I'd have a much greater chance at making progress with my SA rather then feeling so held back because of physical issues as I do now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I definitely think so. I slouched for a long time I believe because I was overweight. I lost the weight, and the slouch was gone. It seems to me that when you are in shape you have the natural confidence since you feel better about yourself, but also you tend to have more energy and the body is better equiped to handle stress. It definitely isn't a cure all, but there isn't really any negatives in terms of staying fit. Just my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts