Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am the master of oversleeping. I will milk every last second of staying in bed that I can. I agree with you that it might be procrastination oriented. I mean, who really wants to leave their warm comfy bed and go to a 9a.m. class? Not me. Do you think oversleeping could be a result of not get a good night's sleep? I mean, do you have trouble falling asleep or wake up during the night? I usually find it at least a little easier to get up when I've gotten a full eight hours. Oh, and another trick I've used to get me out of bed is to reward myself with something like Starbucks before class if I get up in enough time. Sometimes it works, sometimes I just don't care. I hope you find something that works.

P.S. Putting my alarm clock far away from my bed has never worked for me either.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i have problem's with sleep too, I wish i could just get 5 to 6 hours of good sleep, instead i can sleep for 8 to 10 but i get maybe 2 hours. i find it even harder if i have some stressful day ahead. It's not pleasant to wake up even more tired than when you went to sleep. :(:time

·
Banned
1,707 Posts
Yeah, I oversleep a lot too. Forget alarm clocks, they never worked for me because I just turn them off. I find the most helpful thing is to do a lot of exercise. Somehow going for a jog / sit ups etc exhausts me and helps me sleep better at night, and then I tend to wake up earlier and more easily...

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I used to hide my alarm in a different spot each night so that when I woke up I would have to look for it in my half-asleep daze. Didn't work though. I still went back to bed.

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
Dang. I've been going to sleep extremely late too; around 7:00 or 8:00 in the morning. Mind if I join your endeavor?

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
Putting my alarm away from my bed has worked for me and having a specific time to go to bed/wake up. I've been having a lot of trouble getting to sleep though which has made getting up a little harder.

·
Banned
6,986 Posts
i dunno why i need so much sleep...and even if i sleep for 12 hours i still have very little energy...but im taking vitamins now so i hope itll help

·
Registered
1 Posts
Over-sleeping

I certainly realize that this thread is quite dated, but I took interest in the content being discussed.

All of you who over-sleep should be aware of the countless research which has verified that sleeping too much has definite health consequences.

People who regularly sleep more than 8 hours maximun have a 50% greater onset of type II diabetes.

Women who regularly sleep more than 8 hours have demonstrated a 38% increased risk of cardiovascular disease. The same is true for men, but the percentage is less since the factor for women developing cardiovascular disease is greater overall.

People who sleep longer than 8 hours have an increased risk for clinical depression and persons with health anxiety or generalized anxiety find their symptoms increased with longer periods of sleep.

People who sleep greater than 8 hours have demonstrated greater incidence of sudden cardiac death later in life than those who sleep 5 to 8 hours on average.

So these are but a few reasons clinically identified that would suggest over-sleeping to be detrimental to one's health. If you have difficulty sleeping during the night and use the morning hours to "catch up" on lost sleep, this practice is ill-advised since it is not possible to capture lost sleep in such a context. If you experience poor quality sleep during the normal sleep cycle, it has been proven best to rise at a point no later than 8 hours in bed and face the day. Sleep on subsequent days will be improved in terms of quality, documented by clinical research.

If you experience hypersomnia, or sleeping too much, it is worth clinical evaluation to determine whether underlying reasons are to blame rather than simple preference.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts