Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 17 year old (2 months away from being 18.), asian male from the UK. I have not been diagnosed with social phobia by a doctor but it is clear that I have it. I believe the MAIN cause of my anxiety is my overprotective parents. I think the first time I was allowed out with my friends was about febuary last year, and even this was a short period of time. My mother will always call me 100's of times if I am outside the house. I was always dropped and picked up from school in secondary school, I am now in UK college 2nd year and get dropped to school (this time because Im lazy and find it hard to awake early) and make my own way back. however everyday on my way back she will call me, telling me Im taking too long to get back home even though I take no stops and go straight home, it is really annoying. I am not allowed to go out for long periods of time with my friends and I am only allowed to go out with friends that she knows which is not very many. I am also not allowed out at night which is ridiculous at this time of the year because it gets dark at 5pm. Even if I wake up early and go out then I will have to be back early. I am generally a good person and have not really broken my parents trust, now Im starting to think about getting rebellious but now am at a point where I don't really have any friends to go out with. The worst thing is im going to be 18 in about 2 months and i know I will not get any more freedom, when i was young i used to think that once im 18 everything will just be fixed but the closer it gets the less likely it seems. I need a way of being allowed out until about midnight. can anyone help???

I also find it very hard to talk to people in college (obviously :p) but its weird because there is some people i can be very sociable to some friends mostly outside of college, I find most of these people are also asian. It is really annoying because I have some friends of other ethnic backgrounds inside college that i literally don't talk to, I have known some of them since primary school and feel that they don't know the REAL me. I find it harder to talk to people inside groups than on there own because in a group i just end up listening to their conversation and I think i dont have anything interesting to say however when on their own i feel its more obligatory for me to speak to them just a little. In large groups im usualy at the back or a little bit away. Approach is a major symptom in my anxiety especially trying to approach people I dont know very well, this gets increasingly difficult when i try approach females oppose to males. Once i manage to get the approach done forcefully I will be soo anxious that i do not know what to say, I get the BLANK MIND and once something pops in my head i hesitate to say it, partially because Iv been so quiet in the conversations. I do not want to consult the doctor or try medication (not yet anyway) I believe it is fixable by myself (with your help)
so my final question is how can I have a life?
and how can I not get the BLANK MIND :(

·
Banned
800 Posts
the blank mind thing is really gay... for me it usually comes with a feeling of "i should get the **** out of here", and if ill usually mumble something which makes it worse... anyways the only way i can think of is desensitization, which basically means making a fool of yourself 100x times so you that social stuff doesnt provoke that high anxiety...

overprotecting parents can be annoying as ****... you can rebel but then theyre probably cut you off, and then what... but if you can handle that id definetly do sometihng about your situation, you cant be your parents slave like that lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts