Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the worst thing that can happen if you NEVER pay for overdue library books other than not being able to check out books anymore?

I owe $30 for 2 books. I returned 1 and cannot find the other one. They said they cannot add any more charges to the account cause the book is lost.

I guess I'm not going to check out books from that library anymore. Oh well, it doesn't matter, I hate that library. Most of the books I want to read they do not even have. If I really want to read something, I rather just buy it.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
What is the worst thing that can happen if you NEVER pay for overdue library books other than not being able to check out books anymore?

I owe $30 for 2 books. I returned 1 and cannot find the other one. They said they cannot add any more charges to the account cause the book is lost.

I guess I'm not going to check out books from that library anymore. Oh well, it doesn't matter, I hate that library. Most of the books I want to read they do not even have. If I really want to read something, I rather just buy it.
That's it really - all they can do is stop you checking out anything else.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Watch our for Library Goons. Large men, black suits, mean, and very well read.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
Thirty dollars!? How long were they overdue?

Right now I have a book on hold whose current borrower now has it overdue. Hate that.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thirty dollars!? How long were they overdue?

Right now I have a book on hold whose current borrower now has it overdue. Hate that.
Only 2 months, the books are only 8 dollars each, I have to pay like 8 for each book of overdue charges, plus 8 for the book that was lost, and the rest is an extra charge, something about process fee, etc... LOL Too bad I'm not going to pay. I'm glad that this happened, now I can't check out any more books from this library. I rarely do. I suggested once to them that they should get MORE and BETTER books and they were mad, but now all they want is my money. This library doesn't even have a lot of books and most are pretty lame. There are many topics they lack or are missing that it's not even funny.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I hate those *******s! This one time, they broke into my room to get Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide that was a week overdue. They got the book and then they raided my book collection. They took some of my Nietzsche, Emerson, and Marx books. On there way out they called my comic book collection "deplorable," "horrendous," "repugnant," and "lamentable." I cried.
I've only flipped through it, but doesn't the Survival Guide have a section on barricading your home? I'm assuming that would work on goons just as well as for zombies. Go out in a blaze of glory! They can pry the library copy of 'Twilight' from my cold dead hands!!

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I only read some of the book - the 'biology' part. The author goes into great detail, I'm pretty sure he talks about the barricading part.

Keep in mind that these Library Goons are strong. I don't think boarding up your windows with 2x4's is going to keep them out. Twilight is a pretty hot book right now. They'll be on you like flies on **** if you don't return it.
The goons can't even find me through the swarm of teenage girls with torches and pitchforks that are surrounding my house. I dug a moat and put some fallout boy CDs in as bait. A few of them got lured in and are stuck now, but the rest keep coming.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i'm the absoulute worst for anything overdue. i so often sign out a book/movie/CD from the library and completely forget about it or just misplace it.

a couple years ago i had to pay a $30 fine which i did.
since then i think i paid a $10 fine. but right now i also have another $30 fine, that i have had for months and never paid. soo now my card is suspended and i can't take anything out until i pay for it. ****. epic fail.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I remember seeing a story on the news about someone returning a library book after it had been stolen for several decades. I think they had around 10 grand or somewhere around there in late fees, lol.

·
Call Me !!!!
4,066 Posts
This thread just reminded me i need to return an overdue self help book.

The maximum charge at my library is £1.50 a book thankfully.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
The late charges and inability to take out another book are the least of your concerns.

Library debt can affect your credit rating. Do yourself a favour and pay it off.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Can you offer to buy or replace the books? Worst case scenario - you'll be harassed by a collections agency or, like someone said, barred from graduation. Least - library rights revoked.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i guess it'd have to be hundreds of dollars but even so somehow i don't see the TPL reporting someone to their credit agencies for just a fine.

damn though i hate this, so many books i want to take out. i'm stupid.

·
Registered
89 Posts
At my library (I'm a librarian in a public library) we only report people to a collection agency if they have over $100 dollars in fines, or if several people in one family have outstanding fines, so you're probably safe there. But I imagine they will block your library card to prevent you from checking out anything else.

I suggested once to them that they should get MORE and BETTER books and they were mad, but now all they want is my money. This library doesn't even have a lot of books and most are pretty lame. There are many topics they lack or are missing that it's not even funny.
They probably don't have enough money to get a lot of new books - this is a big problem for a lot of public libraries now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts