Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(

There's this total d*** in my class. When he's writing he shields his notes with his other arm and when he's not writing he covers the notebook with his hands so no one can read it. I saw him pull his book away when he noticed the person next to him was reading off it because he forgot his. And he always has his hand up sometimes just shouts out answers before the professor can pick on someone.

Normally none of this matters to me since I don't sit near him and I don't participate in class. I just watch and judge him from afar.

As part of attempts to get over my classroom anxiety though, I'm trying to make an effort to answer an easy question in class a few times a week (and also so the professor doesn't call on me, as they tend to do for the quiet ones). Well after I gave the wrong answer, this prick decides to interrupt and say "no that's incorrect, it's actually.... you must have been thinking of what we learned last class, but you'd still be wrong then because it was actually.... " gee, thanks, I totally needed your condescending explanation, not like the professor would have corrected me instead :roll

I hate school.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Call me crazy, but I don't think he qualifies as a total d***.

So what if he answers a lot of questions? Or covers his paper when he's writing notes? Nothing you've said so far proves that he's doing it on purpose.

When he was correcting you, he might not have meant it in a malicious way. Sometimes people go to class to, you know, learn and help others learn. He came off as condescending, but is it really fair to judge him on the basis of one interaction?

You would think that people who have social anxiety themselves would be a little more sensitive towards other people's behavioral quirks.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
He does sound different. Why not work with him? Understand where he's coming from. He must be enthusiastic about the class or the subject. Try encouraging him. Say things like, "teach me your ways". And mean it. Also try to thank him next time he corrects you. Or pay attention to where he corrects you. Even try correcting him. Just some alternative suggestions.
You can't change a person's perspective without shifting your own.

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
Lazy people that try to peak at your own notes/assignments are extremely annoying. I should know cause I had such people hanging after me in school and sometimes the teachers even assigned me to help out the less intelligent ones. Why should they reap the rewards of another persons intelligence or hard work that has gone into studying to learn?

With that said it is rude to interrupt when you are talking and he should have been disciplined by the professor for doing so.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The fact that he corrected you in such a way during class is a d-bag move, in my opinion. He's not the professor - he could have just answered with the right answer. Instead, he felt the need to insert unnecessary commentary then and there instead of after class or during break.

·
Taking it easy
482 Posts
Lol, I know exactly the type of person you're talking about. They're a very common breed in university/college classes; know-it-alls who crave constant attention. Just try your best not to take anything he says or does personally, since I'm sure a lot of your classmates feel the same as you do about him. I think people like him generally outgrow this kind of behaviour over time.

·
consciousnessrevisited
34 Posts
I have to say I agree with Sabreena's comment, well said.

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts