Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you over 30 years old & in school? If so how old are you, & what's your major?

I'm 34. I left my job a couple of years ago to go to college, but I'm still not sure of a major lol

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I'm 34. I left my job a couple of years ago to go to college, but I'm still not sure of a major lol
How are you managing to do that? I know teens do that, but they have parents paying while they try to "find themselves" and parents find their money going away.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I always thought that after my son graduated high school I would go back to school and get a degree. However, I just dont see myself doing that now. My hubby and I make a pretty good combined income and I really dont want to work and go to school and have no time for anything else. Of course, I could still change my mind but at 40, I just dont see that happening.

If I WERE to go back to school it would be to become a medical technologist. :)

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I'm 31, almost 32. I'm a Ph.D. student, majoring in History. I've been in school almost constantly since I was four years old.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are you managing to do that? I know teens do that, but they have parents paying while they try to "find themselves" and parents find their money going away.
I've been living off my savings. I don't have a social life which helped me save up money at my last job. But my money is going to run out in a month or 2 and I'll need help w/ funds.

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
I just turned 41 and look forward to going back (to grad school) some day.

And I was 31 when I got my Bachelor's.

I figure as long as you're alive, it's not too late. You're never too old until you're dead...:no

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I graduated with a business degree just two weeks after turning 22 and I've never felt a desire to go back.

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I am 32 and I just graduated with my Bachelors of Science

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I'm 31, almost 32. I'm a Ph.D. student, majoring in History. I've been in school almost constantly since I was four years old.

Have a nice day,
Are you planning to become a professor when this is over?

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
heh a co worker of mine majored in History and now realizes she can not do Shiet with her degree besides work at a museum.

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
I was 38 when I got my degree. I have no desire to go back, though. I'd rather learn for the sake of learning rather than to pass a test.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I will never leave school.
I think my brother had a similar view, holding the title of more degrees from the University of Wisconsin -- Madison than anyone else ever. There are about a dozen who come in one degree short of his record, but some of them are dead which takes them out of the running to beat him.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I think my brother had a similar view, holding the title of more degrees from the University of Wisconsin -- Madison than anyone else ever. There are about a dozen who come in one degree short of his record, but some of them are dead which takes them out of the running to beat him.
If they keep giving me money to keep learning and teaching, then why not?

Have a nice day,

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
If they keep giving me money to keep learning and teaching, then why not?
I guess we all have different ideas of fun. School definitely isn't my idea of fun. And where would I go next with a BS in finance. Ironically, UW-Madison offers a masters program in securities analysis so that one can learn to pick investments and become a manager of a mutual fund, pension fund, or hedge fund. It's ironic because everything taught in undergrad finance courses tells you that markets are efficient and that such active management is a fool's errand, yet I guess you're supposed to forget all that in grad school. Then one can go on to get a PhD in finance and endlessly study market anomalies that show the market isn't really efficient, but that aren't at all likely to allow you to beat the market on a risk adjusted basis, so you can have a ton of education and like so many financial economists -- including Nobel laureates -- conclude that it's best to simply invest in a diversified collection of index funds. Boy, that's a lot of work to come to such an exceedingly simple answer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm 30 next year, I've been in school (uni) since 2002... I'm doing my master's in aeronautic engineering but it's been 3 years already and I'm not getting any closer to finishing my thesis.
The problem is I'm not getting any stipends now (in fact I started paying tuition myself...). I really need to get my act together and get a job regardless of whether or not I graduate.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
I would like to try and get into college, but I really have no idea where to start. Nor do I have any idea what I would like to get a degree in. And the very idea of being around that many people my age all day scares the hell out of me. It's one of the reasons I never went after HS in the first place.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would love to go to school, but there's none around here to attend. They should atleast build a community college here or something for the kids to attend after high school.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts