Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Two or more of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wondered this before and it just popped into my head again.

You know how they say when you lose one of your senses, other senses improve to help you in life, such as a blind person having the ability to hear better than most and their sense of touch is very acute?

Well, I've wondered for years if it's the same with people with SA?

As a child (but even now) I was always the one in the family that watched, listened and thought about things, and I think it resulted in a number of my senses, and thought processes, reasoning skills, being more acute than others in the family.

I'm very sensitive to touch. As long as I can remember, I've been like the Princess and the Pea. If I'm uncomfortable in any way because something's too tight, scratchy, any lumps at all, etc., I can't stand it until I 'fix' whatever it is. It hurts if someone grabs my wrist or arm too tightly - although I have a high treshold for pain and usually just ignore it until it becomes severe - but I think that was a learned thing.

My eyesight has never been 20/20, so I don't think that's improved, but I am more aware of things around me than most people. The slightest movement out of the corner of my eye catches my attention. I seem to appreciate flowers, trees, etc. more than most because I see the texture in them, not just the whole. But that extends to other visual things too.

My senses of smell and taste I think are more acute than others. I am normally the first one that can tell if something's gone bad, or if it 'needs something' when I'm cooking. I also seem to be the only one that finds things in their food that shouldn't be there (maybe that's just misfortune though). Some perfumes, colognes and aftershaves seem so strong to me, like the person bathed in it. There are some smells that are almost overpowering and can make me ill. Although, I think these 2 senses are not what they would be if I weren't a smoker.

My sense of hearing was always a lot more acute until I ruptured an ear drum.

So, what about you?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I put two or more of the above, because my senses are good.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
I've worn glasses since I was 8 and my hearing is starting to go.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I think I'm just an ordinary human being with average senses. Sometimes I like to think I have better hearing than most. Actually I do think my ears are more sensitive.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It seems like since I was a kid I've had more sensitive hearing than normal. I hear things that other people don't notice, though maybe that's just because I'm always anxious (and therefore sensitive to every little thing)...

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
i got 15/20 vision

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used to have perfect eye sight until I took zoloft, now I have to wear contacts and am near sighted. AFTER my eyesight was shot my doctor said that was a rare side effect of zoloft.

But as far as any senses beinig heightened I have never noticed. When I am anxious they all seem to be bad. My emotional sense is on overdrive a lot. I pick up on other people's negative emotions far quicker than others.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I have good vision (just a tiny bit nearsighted), but I have no idea what kind of vision I have (20/20, etc). I haven't had an eye exam in years. I'm certain that my hearing has gotten a little worse in the few years since I've been working at my job due to the constant noise of the conveyor belts.

My sense of smell isn't very strong. Sense of taste and touch are okay, but not acute.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I am very observant visually and have a tendency to remember smells as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts