Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been told in the past that it is mostly my perception of people that is wrong with me in most situations than people actually trying to annoy, or frustrate, or swindle me.

For example, I would feel very invaded when someone would look at me and lick their lips, or try to feel me up as I bend down to pick something up, and they would explain it being "my lips are dry" or "it was purely an accident" (even though there was plenty of room in the space AROUND my butt).

I think that a lot of their explanations are their way of making it seem like we are crazy when, in all actuality, they are the ones trying to cover up for being caught. I had to practically run away from this woman at work because she would constantly be in my personal space, find a way to grope me, and wouldn't take my hint of staying as far away from her as possible as a very clear, "LEAVE ME ALONE!" I was told that I should clearly tell her that I felt uncomfortable around her and that she should stay away from me but how does that make me look in the end? I would be the weirdo, the freak, the paranoid guy who they would talk about and laugh at behind my back. Why couldn't she just leave me alone in the first place? I wasn't doing anything except maybe talk to her once just to be nice and she thinks that she has free reign to do whatever she wants to me afterward? Was I born yesterday and didn't get the manual of life or something?!

Anyway, It took me going to my supervisor for it to be settled (they reviewed tapes and thought it was, of course, "purely accidental") and even then, the peaceable environment I used to have at work disappeared and I was always worried when she was working the same shift as me.

Other times their explanation makes so much sense that I wonder if it is actually true; like someone is actually struggling with allergies and that is why they are constantly sniffling, or they cough violently and at sporadic times because they actually have a scratchy throat, or they grab my butt because they have "arm Tourette's." I think it is a very coy deception that they use to mix the truth with a lie in order to get away with as much as possible at our expense and their amusement.

Anyone else have similar experiences or different views?

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
you are probably just oversensitive you may have slight paranoia

people are too busy getting on with their own lives....

·
Registered
4 Posts
paranoia is very destructive. you should get a handle on this even if some of it may be true its doesn't make it healthy to obsess over. I have my own paranoia time 2 time where i think peoples thoughts and actions are more greatly directly at or around me. your personal bubble is probably bigger than others (i know mine is) i don't like to be touched or approached or looked at or given attention but at the same time i crave all these things. this sounds like a personal battle where you need to accept and love yourself so that you may accept and possibly love others.

Good luck

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
i take it that this female looks like the cat lady from the simpsons cartoons. i think that's some form of harassment and there's is nothing DEEP about the situation. sure guilty people lie when they are defending themselves.

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that if I can get a good layer of toughened skin on me, and really not give a crap about what people do, or say, or think of me, I can make it through this paranoia.
At different times I will feel more paranoid than others for various reasons; such as triggers of bad past times, or whatever. I think that I have good days and bad days. I was probably sharing the memories of a bad day when I created this thread.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,121 Posts
I think when it comes to these types of things it's 50/50,

For example the coughing/sniffing may be a reaction to illness at times but likewise they can be statements & this idea that they never are & that people are only minding themselves at all times doesn't seem true to me. Many a person is judgemental & I don't think there are many who would dispute that fact.

As for the gal, sounds like unwanted playful flirting which may in face crossover into harassment but as a guy making the claim I don't think it would fly. Most guys would like hear this & think "enjoy it", particularly male superiors.

All this said I think the key is not to obsess over all these things though it's another of those things easier said than done. I have this issue myself

1 - 6 of 6 Posts