Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dread being laughed at. Not in a good natured, harmless way (I find that I can laugh at myself), but in a malicious way. I used to get picked on a lot from childhood onwards and a lot of that was either verbal abuse or malicious teasing.

I feel so uncomfortable when people around me are laughing. It can be one or more people. I hate that laughter sounds so sinister to me. Does laughter not bring normal people joy? I always feel as though people are laughing at me even if I know that they're not even looking my way. Of course, when they are looking my way while they laugh, it makes me really anxious. I know that there is nothing physically wrong with me, I dress well, I have good hygiene, I'm attractive and I do not behave in a way that will make me stand out.

I've begun to wonder if because of my SA my anxiety or discomfort may be apparent in my facial expression or body language and if this may be amusing to others? I do admit that I would not be amused if I knew or thought that I may be making someone uncomfortable. In my experience, people seem to become amused at other's fears or misfortunes. So how do I know for sure that others aren't laughing at me and how do I just stop caring and feeling so self-conscious? Any suggestions would be appreciate because I'm sick of feeling this way.

·
Banned
1,593 Posts
I have this same problem. I got picked on a certain year of high school as well. Every day was laughed at for one reason or another, these days those same reasons make me afraid that I'm being made fun of just like back then. Others could be laughing about some inside joke or something but SA steps in and automatically makes me think its about me.

Personally I try to steer clear of those thoughts, try to distract myself. Music usually works to drown out the laughter too :D

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
I have the same problem, especially if I'm walking past a big group of people.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I really doubt people are laughing at you, but I know exactly how you feel. I was teased a lot at school and can't bear to be laughed at, so if I hear people laughing I get extremely anxious, even though I know its unlikely that they are laughing at me. If I ever hear people laughing I do get very paranoid and just want to get away as quickly as I can.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I like to know what people are laughing at. If I'm with someone, and they laugh at something funny that I say or they say or that happens, it's a healing feeling to laugh with them. However, it's never funny to think that someone is laughing at you.

There are some cruel people in this world, and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between someone being cruel and someone saying something that's completely unrelated to you (that's funny.) It's in these situations that I want to know the difference.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
So how do I know for sure that others aren't laughing at me and how do I just stop caring and feeling so self-conscious? Any suggestions would be appreciate because I'm sick of feeling this way.
I think it would be pretty hard to tell if someone wasn't laughing at you unless you overheard their conversation or asked them directly. There really isn't an easy fix because to stop caring and to stop being self-conscious requires a different mindset. I guess one way would be to try and stay calm while consciously telling yourself that they aren't laughing at you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts