Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to some angriness earlier, it has come to my attention that there are a couple problems and omissions that you might want to consider adding to the orientation section of the user profile page.

First of all: Transgendered is not a sexual orientation. It is a gender Identity. Consider removing it or making it clear that this is a sexual attraction towards trans-people.

Second: There are a couple additions I feel like you could include. Asexuality is the most obvious one; I think there are a fair number of asexual people on this board. It would also be nice if you added pansexual and queer as a catchall.

Thoughts?

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
Yeah that transgender being listed under sexual orientation always bugged me too since it clearly refers to their gender, and a trans person can still be straight/bi/gay/asexual etc. (It was added to gender eventually.)

I second you regarding the others. For some reason I assumed asexual was already listed. For queer, I think some people aren't keen on the usage of it even though the context is different (which is understandable).

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Due to some angriness earlier, it has come to my attention that there are a couple problems and omissions that you might want to consider adding to the orientation section of the user profile page.

First of all: Transgendered is not a sexual orientation. It is a gender Identity. Consider removing it or making it clear that this is a sexual attraction towards trans-people.

Second: There are a couple additions I feel like you could include. Asexuality is the most obvious one; I think there are a fair number of asexual people on this board. It would also be nice if you added pansexual and queer as a catchall. The Q word is not savvy and most people equate it with the F word or the N word. You just don't use it unless it means what it originally meant - reference to a situation or a person (OUTSIDE of orientation).

Thoughts?
Transgendered has been lumped in to the "LGBT" group anyway. I can see "transgendered" as a gender, but attraction to transgendered people would count as "bisexual" anyway. See the green response below.

I don't understand why "Bisexual" would not "pan" the spectrum - Bisexual can have any percentage straight/gay. Asexual can also mean "no response" or "other" - Nobody needs to read into it that far.

This thread is nothing more than a means of activism.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This thread is nothing more than a means of activism.
Of course it is. I want people to be able to express their sexuality. Why is orientation available at all if the purpose is to obfuscate what sexuality you identify with? Why is wanting to express it more clearly a bad thing?

You obviously have no idea what pansexuality is. If you want to know what the differences are, I encourage you to google each respective word.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I see you hid some words about the word "queer" in the my quote. Why did you do that? I did not say those words. Please remove it.

I did not know that the word queer was the same as the word ******. I will go tell the queer studies department at my university to change their name then. Or maybe I will tell the African-American studies department to change their name to ****** studies :roll

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
The transgendered must be a mistake (or a misunderstanding.) I'm sure if you PM Drew, he'll be more than happy to correct it.

As for "activist thread," I'm not sure how that can be either, as your point is a legitimate one.

ETA - I agree with Nothing to Fear on the usage of "queer," however.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for "activist thread," I'm not sure how that can be either, as your point is a legitimate one.
It seems quite simple to me: Activism is the effort to bring change. Millennium believes that it is wrong to identify yourself as one of these new categories. Thus, he uses the word activism in a negative way to refer to the thread. I wouldn't mind a dissenting opinion so much, but the fact that this person is a moderator has me a little jumpy.

As for the usage of queer: Is it problematic if I identify myself with the word queer? This is essentially what the purpose of the "about me" page is, no? I understand that some people find the word dissentious, but I do not. Either way, we can set up a debate in the LGBT forum if that is a serious problem. :b

Actually, I don't even understand why there are categories. Why not just let people type in whatever they want?

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
It seems quite simple to me: Activism is the effort to bring change. Millennium believes that it is wrong to identify yourself as one of these new categories. Thus, he uses the word activism in a negative way to refer to the thread. I wouldn't mind a dissenting opinion so much, but the fact that this person is a moderator has me a little jumpy.
I am quite aware what activism means, so no need to talk down to me, thank you. It could very well be that he means it in a negative sense, or simply that he thinks you're nitpicking. Only he can clarify.

Actually, I don't even understand why there are categories. Why not just let people type in whatever they want?
I agree, this is a good idea. Probably the best solution given the various interpretations.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am quite aware what activism means, so need to talk down to me, thank you. It could very well be that he means it in a negative sense, or simply that he thinks you're nitpicking. Only he can clarify.
Sorry. I had no intention of talking down to you.

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts

Quite a few people consider themselves to be transgendered and wish to let this be known. Perhaps Transgender could be removed from the orientation list and added to the gender list.

Second: There are a couple additions I feel like you could include. Asexuality is the most obvious one; I think there are a fair number of asexual people on this board. It would also be nice if you added pansexual and queer as a catchall.

Thoughts?
Asexual indicates a completes lack of sexual feelings.

Pansexual - Since "pan" means "all", would indicate someone who would have sex with anything including non humans.

Queer - This word, I personally find highly offensive. It is extremely derogatory and is used by schoolyard bullies and non-intelligent adults alike as the most offensive insult that can be used against another male.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Queer - This word, I personally find highly offensive. It is extremely derogatory and is used by schoolyard bullies and non-intelligent adults alike as the most offensive insult that can be used against another male.
It is also used by academic scholars and popular media outlets as a positive term. Schoolyard bullies also use the word gay in an extremely derogatory manner -- should we stop using that word too? Explain for me the difference that makes it OK for us to still use gay but not queer.

Pansexuality does not include non-humans. Jesus. I thought this was a common knowledge term?

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
This area is not for debate. You have given feedback and and I have given mine. Drew will make a decision on the matter.

1,934 Posts
I agree with stillirise 100 percent. Also, I am pansexual (even though I selected "bi" because that was the closest to what I am)...and I am not attracted to non-humans. Geez. WTF?

If someone wants to identify as queer (which, just so you know, has been reclaimed to a degree), then they should be allowed to. I also use that word, and I don't consider it as being offensive since I am not straight, and I'm not using it in a derogatory way.

Also, I need to point out that many (I thought most?) transgender people identify as male or female, not as transgender, much as I identify as female, not cisgender (even though I am cis). Does this make sense? Amocholes, I think you know what I'm talking about, at least I hope you do.

Transgender is not a sexual orientation. Transgender people, just like cis people, are straight, gay, bisexual, pansexual, asexual...

I really hope there can be some more understanding here.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
I agree with stillirise 100 percent. Also, I am pansexual (even though I selected "bi" because that was the closest to what I am)...and I am not attracted to non-humans. Geez. WTF?

If someone wants to identify as queer (which, just so you know, has been reclaimed to a degree), then they should be allowed to. I also use that word, and I don't consider it as being offensive since I am not straight, and I'm not using it in a derogatory way.

Also, I need to point out that many (I thought most?) transgender people identify as male or female, not as transgender, much as I identify as female, not cisgender (even though I am cis). Does this make sense? Amocholes, I think you know what I'm talking about, at least I hope you do.

Transgender is not a sexual orientation. Transgender people, just like cis people, are straight, gay, bisexual, pansexual, asexual...

I really hope there can be some more understanding here.
I think for various reasons some might prefer transgender, or trans man or trans man, or might not feel they identify with either male or female enough to decide on a label... Some identify themselves as genderqueer in those cases (i.e. don't fit the gender binary).
Regardless, I don't think people should be forced to have to label themselves as either male or female.

A few definitions (copied from http://lgbtqyouthcentre.ca/glossary.htm):

Asexual - someone who has a lack of sexual attraction, or interest in or desire for sex. Sometimes, it is considered a lack of a sexual orientation. Unlike celibacy, which is a choice, asexuality is a sexual orientation. Asexual people have the same emotional needs as everybody else and are just as capable of forming intimate relationships.

Bisexual - Someone who is attracted, emotionally and/or physically, to both men and women.

Gender identity - One's internal sense of being male or female. A person's sense of him or herself, as masculine or feminine or somewhere in between. It is how people perceive themselves and how they expect others to behave. It is largely culturally determined and does not have to be a bipolar state. Gender possibilities are broad, and people can exist anywhere along a continuum.

Pansexual - someone who is attracted to other people regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.

Queer - Originally a derogatory label used to refer to lesbian and gay people or to intimidate or offend heterosexuals. Some lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and transgendered people have recently reclaimed this term as an inclusive and positive way to identify all people targeted by heterosexism and homophobia, and use it as a term of defiant pride. Nevertheless, a sizable percentage of people to whom this term might apply still hold queer to be a hateful insult, and its use by heterosexuals is often considered offensive. Similarly, other reclaimed words (such as ****** and ****) are usually offensive to the in-group when used by outsiders, so extreme caution must be taken concerning their use when one is not a member of the group.

Queer-identified - People who don't necessarily fit into the major categories of gay, lesbian, or bisexual, may say that they are queer-identified. Many people who are categorized by others as being bisexual consider themselves queer-identified. And also gay men and lesbians who don't want to be labelled exclusively as gay/lesbian use the word queer. Pretty much anyone who is not straight in the typical sense may choose to say that they are queer-identified or simply call themselves queer.

Transgendered - A person whose gender identity or expression differs from conventional expectations of masculinity or femininity based on their sex. An umbrella term that includes transsexuals, cross-dressers, drag queens and drag kings, gender outlaws, and all those whose gender roles are ambiguous. This identification challenges traditional notions of sexuality and gender. Transgendered people may be heterosexual, bisexual, or homosexual.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.