Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Member of SAS
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of both from people. Some say partners of the opposite personality attract each other and others say partners with alike personalities attract each other. Of course there is nothing set in stone and each hold their own weight, but which do you think is more true than the other? Why do you think?

·
Father, Son & Holyzilla
7,386 Posts
I would have to have to attract someone like me to know. So far I've only dated outgoing and extrovert girls and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand its nice to have girls that are easy to talk to and can keep conversations going because my social skills suck. On the other hand I dread the idea of hanging out with her friends or family or the fact that outgoing girls never understand introversion and can't be satisfied with silence.

If you mean opposites attract as in likes, then likes attract big time. A relationship is going to be rough for the long haul if one person likes to travel and the other prefers staying at home. Or one partner likes games, sports, rock music while the other likes clubs, tv dramas and country music. Or differing views on politics and religion.

·
uggla
10,068 Posts
The opposite of me would be some overly optimistic, bubbly, religious, serious, chauvinistic, goodie two shoes, fedora-wearing, overweight bro who hates music and cats. That doesn't appeal to me.

(it would probably be good for me to be with someone who's very different from me for a change)

·
Banned
2,557 Posts
The opposite of me would be some overly optimistic, bubbly, religious, serious, chauvinistic, goodie two shoes, fedora-wearing, overweight bro who hates music and cats. That doesn't appeal to me.

(it would probably be good for me to be with someone who's very different from me for a change)

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,336 Posts
I like opposites in some traits and not in others, I wouldn't be attracted to someone who was really close minded, really religious or on the opposite side an athiest who went on and on about how much they hate religion. I like introverted guys though and while I'm not quite an extrovert, I don't think I'd want to date an extreme extrovert, having met some people like that.

I like people who are more logical and calm than me too I guess. Some people on this forum seem to think I'm fair and objective, but I had to learn to be that way over time but I still fail a lot. I guess I can be quite emotional at times and have mood swings where everything seems crappy and then get.stupidly hyper at other times, so yeah.

But that stuff isn't exactly set in stone anyway.

·
Abendfuchs
1,357 Posts
Yeah I don't think attraction is that black and white. I've been attracted to opposites, and people much like myself, and inbetween.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Basically, it's not like some set answer. It can be either. I just believe that there are certain qualities each person is attracted to. So even if they have completely different interests, if they have those qualities, you would be attracted to them.

·
An Annoying person
4,937 Posts
Both can be true. I'd rather date a girl who's similar to myself, at least in terms of interests and general outlook on life, otherwise I don't see how dating her would be enjoyable for either of us. Whether she's introverted/extroverted or more cheery/less cheery than me etc. is not THAT important, but I think I would still prefer someone closer to me in those regards as well. However, I know plenty of people with SA who want someone more outgoing than them to compensate for their introversion. Which is fine, but to me, that just sounds like it will lead to a relationship where one is more dominant and the other is more submissive, which is something I don't want.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am not sure to be honest. A lot of the girls I felt I was really compatible with were somewhere in the middle. But all of the girls that ive actually made friends with were very outgoing extroverts, happy happy type of people. Ive never been in a relationship so I can't say about what i'd do better with. But physically at least I am attracted to a degree of difference.

I prefer a partner with darker features compared to my lighter ones. The fact that im not too often attracted to my own race doesn't help cause I think people are attracted to similarity and that's more common I think.

·
banana enthusiast
7,065 Posts
They should be similar when it comes to your broad personality traits (like having the same general intelligence level as you, not hating your lifestyle, etc.). But within those broad constraints, it is good to have someone who is not like you. I wouldn't want someone who works in the same field as me, because I don't want the relationship to revolve around work. And she doesn't have to be shy/introverted like me - I am okay with an extrovert or 'normal' chick.

It might even be nice to have someone who thinks everything is wonderful and jumps up and down with excitement and grabs my arm when she receives a coupon for 5 cents off Shake-N-Bake. This would contrast with my reserved and meticulous nature. Also I find it a turn-on for a girl to cry easily. This contrasts with me, an emotionless robot who can't cry even if he tries (last time I managed to cry was 3 years ago).

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I've dated someone the complete opposite of me. Overly extroverted, many friends including guys, did drugs, drank a lot, loved to party and the list goes on. It really sucked.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Attraction from a distance isn't much about personality, but more so brief external behaviors. Personality is something that takes time to uncover.

People are combinations of multiple qualities, to be attracted to a difference is also to be attracted to what's in common.

On many levels, I think it depends on how you look at it.

·
(*⁰▿⁰*) SAS Member
27 Posts
I'm usually attracted to a mix. Someone so alike you might be kinda boring, but easier to get along with. While as someone whose different might be a little bit of an adventure to get to know. Good to have both in there in my opinion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I find that while opposites attract, they rarely connect.

At first it is cool to find someone who (aside from physical attraction) has this different perception of the world. Its interesting and creates a lot of things to talk about.

But ultimately if you aren't on the same page, this gets old quick. The things that you found interesting at first become annoyances that get in the way of how you like to do things. Those cute little disagreements soon turn to actual arguments.

In the end, its important to find similarities. Someone who you can enjoy the same things with, the same lifestyle as, and are on the same page with on ideas in life. Someone who really is on the same track as you are in regards to what kind of life you want. Because ultimately, different tracks run in different directions.

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
Like attract like is far more typical than opposites. It makes sense if you think about it. You're most likely to find someone interested in the same things as you and people swarm to others who share their view of the world.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts