Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here experience with opioids and their effects on SA/SP? My wife takes both morphin and fentanyl (100 x as strong) daily and shortly after, she is very talkative (while she is rather shy in general).

She is not a junkie, but suffers from severe chronic pain... unfortunately, she is never pain free at all :(

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you don't have legitimate pain problems I would say stay away. Addiction is not fun and very few people have the willpower to use opiates like they where benzos because of the powerful euphoria they give (heck a lot people can't even use benzos as they where prescribed) Also they might make you more talkative and outgoing at first but they will eventually leave you feeling grumpy and angry at everyone when your tolerance gets high enough.

Some who believe in "better living through chemistry" on here might disagree with me and if it works for you kudos but you should know about the real dangers of addiction, everyone thinks they can manage it at first.

Don't deviate from doctors orders.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Abusing Opioids won't cure SA.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Meprozine (Demerol+Phenergan) made me very calm and sociable, but treatment of psychiatric conditions with painkillers will never become anything less than taboo because painkillers are too "rewarding." God forbid anyone actually enjoy their miserable life (even if only by synthetic chemical means).

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Meprozine (Demerol+Phenergan) made me very calm and sociable, but treatment of psychiatric conditions with painkillers will never become anything less than taboo because painkillers are too "rewarding." God forbid anyone actually enjoy their miserable life (even if only by synthetic chemical means).
I used to use Demoral+Phenergan for migraines and trust me... it's not fun anymore after a short time of using it. It's just a fact of life that nothing good lasts forever, and anything really really good lasts even shorter.

You really think heroin addicts are having fun after the first few shots? It's no fun when you can't remember yesterday or make any new positive memories, but you still have flashbacks to bad things in your life.

Better off putting in a little effort with something like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and keep your brain intact.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used to use Demoral+Phenergan for migraines and trust me... it's not fun anymore after a short time of using it. It's just a fact of life that nothing good lasts forever, and anything really really good lasts even shorter.
You really think heroin addicts are having fun after the first few shots? It's no fun when you can't remember yesterday or make any new positive memories, but you still have flashbacks to bad things in your life.
Better off putting in a little effort with something like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and keep your brain intact.
The whole attitude anything good doesn't last forever and the better it is the shorter it lasts seems a little out there for my taste. Why live in a world where anything good that happens will only be shadowed by something crappy, ****ty after a little while?
Also Research shows that CBT can bring fast improvement to patients, but the same research shows that not all patients improve, those who improve usually still exhibit symptoms, in the long run (2+ years after treatment) CBT effects erode, CBT is not more effective than other forms of psychotherapy(http://soultherapynow.com/articles/cbt-effectiveness.html). So what if your one of the few where CBT doesn't improve anything. Also I like not remembering what stuff went or didn't happen the day before. Just a little rant since the whole "put an effort" sounded awfully like "why don't you just get out of your bed and do something" (which I hear alot)

But yes Addiction is terrible, one "hit" will turn into another and another if you don't or can't tell yourself to stop. If your in a bad spot in your life I would say stay away from opoids just to avoid getting into a situation you can't overcome easily. "A mountain is small when your far away but once your closer you realize how big it is" or however that old saying goes.

·
Registered
984 Posts
But yes Addiction is terrible, one "hit" will turn into another and another if you don't or can't tell yourself to stop. If your in a bad spot in your life I would say stay away from opoids just to avoid getting into a situation you can't overcome easily. "A mountain is small when your far away but once your closer you realize how big it is" or however that old saying goes.
Addiction is terrible but it dosen't happen as fast as the dea, dare, etc says it does. Even if you where mainlining heroin everyday it would take a couple of months to get really addicted. The stigma on drugs is so bad people forget to neglect the pleasure that drugs give and when you've felt bad for years it feels like someone has thrown you a lifepreserver. It can take years for the negative consequences to catch up to you and for the drugs to stop working.

That said I don't think there is anything wrong with using drugs recreationaly for pleasure but when you use them to forget about your problems you are only making things worse. When they eventually stop working or you can't get them for whatever reason you will be back at square one and have a whole new set of problems to contend with too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Addiction is terrible but it dosen't happen as fast as the dea, dare, etc says it does.
Agree - probably differs strongly from person to person though (I have never become addicted to anything - once again though, takes discipline and a realistic approach, if your supply runs out, you should be prepared).

Have you seen the YouTube videos of people who experienced a high by the medication given to them by their *dentists*?

... forget about your problems you are only making things worse.
Most "problems" (such as SA) are in the eye of the beholder, individual experiences. If one is born without a completely different experience of the world around him, e.g. is much more outgoing, a lot of things are easier.

Therefore I don't like "black-and-white" thinking at all in this regard... but the great danger is that the average person is ill-informed and not disciplined enough and so on, like you mentioned.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
God = DEA
I'm sure you have read the endless number of stories about highly reputated professors who suddenly had a car accident themselves, suffered serious burns and complained in the press about insufficient access to opioids.

At least I do, since my wife is confronted with this problem on a daily basis.

Let me tell you: Seeing is believing. Even if the DEA's work is good in principle, I bet they often don't put enough thought into certain actions because they simply don't have enough experience themselves.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've heard that small doses of the opioid cough supressant dextromethorphan should do very good for ppl with social anxiety. But is it only something ive heard so better check up on it before doing something stupid. And NEVER ingest dextromethorphan or tramadol with SSRI, because it can cause serotonin overload or something like that, which is very dangerous!!

If dextromethorphan was legal (it has just been illegalized because of abuse in denmark), and I was not on SSRI I would give it a try, because it shouldnt give any cravings.. not like other opioids og opiates..

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I'm sure you have read the endless number of stories about highly reputated professors who suddenly had a car accident themselves, suffered serious burns and complained in the press about insufficient access to opioids.
At least they recovered. Almost all heroin addicts will repeatedly relapse until they die.

There are pain relief diets that can work miracles for severe chronic pain, but nobody wants to believe it. Denial, IMHO, and the people in the most denial tend to be people who know how quickly and easily opiates work - why would they want to go through the pain of withdrawal and chronic pain for the several days it would take to transition to one of those diets?

I know that sounds like I'm saying it's not that bad, but I have chronic pain myself, so I know how an hour in pain feels like eternity in hell. The point is that someone needs to prove to that person in pain, how much happier they would be if they just try it.

I fought it until I lost everything, but then I tried it and it feels great. Not an intense painkiller high where you start to only care about yourself, but simply a balanced, "at peace" feeling where the pain starts to feel like nothing.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've heard that small doses of the opioid cough supressant dextromethorphan should do very good for ppl with social anxiety. But is it only something ive heard so better check up on it before doing something stupid. And NEVER ingest dextromethorphan or tramadol with SSRI, because it can cause serotonin overload or something like that, which is very dangerous!!

If dextromethorphan was legal (it has just been illegalized because of abuse in denmark), and I was not on SSRI I would give it a try, because it shouldnt give any cravings.. not like other opioids og opiates..
Dextromethorphan is a dissociative not an opiate (related though) and it's "anti-addictive" which is why it's used as a cough supressant the only other thing available (U.S.) is codeine and god forbid people feel really good off otc medications.

Dissociatives can help you feel more normal because they put you outside your body but the temporary feelings of normalness you get wear off quickly. Unless you plan on being on drugs 24/7 for the rest of your life, you would need a therapist or have to have a lot of willpower and knowledge to use drugs as a behavioral changing tool.

I don't view antidepressants in the same light because they are correcting a pre-existing imbalance. But finding out whether someone has an actual imbalance or not is the problem and I think doctors have really dropped the ball in using it to automatically treat everything.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I fought it until I lost everything, but then I tried it and it feels great. Not an intense painkiller high where you start to only care about yourself, but simply a balanced, "at peace" feeling where the pain starts to feel like nothing.
Thomas, are you rotating? If yes, with which painkillers?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts