Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I lost it last night. I have a roommate who really likes to talk down to me and claims it's his "personality" and I need to accept him for who he is. I've been trying to be nice to him for a while now. I invited him out to my brothers house for a get together last night and all he did the entire time was talk down to me in front of everyone. I'm a big boy, I handled it pretty well. I just turned to him and said that we needed to leave and have a chat. We walked home and he had a little pity party for himself the entire time and that's when he dropped the "it's my personality" bomb. To top it off, he over drank and vomited all over the house. As much as I wanted to be the one to say screw it, I decided to try and help him. I woke up hating myself for it. It's getting to the point where I want to be the bad guy. My patience has run out. On the other hand, I feel bad for him. His girlfriend left him for his "best friend" who is our other roommate, he's very overweight and he has zero clue what he wants in life. I can't go on with him talking to me this way but the overwhelming sense of pity has me unable to do much but sit there and try to be as adult as possible about it. I'm not quite sure how much longer I can hold out and I don't even know how to approach the situation at this point. I don't like getting angry and yelling at people. What's the deal here, SAS? :sus

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This didn't end in a panic attack, in case anyone was wondering. I had a couple shots and was pretty confident with everything at that point

·
Pastry Case
1,065 Posts
You say you have an overwhelming sense of pity for him, but allowing him to mistreat you is not helping him in any way, is it? You have asked him to stop talking down to you but he carries on doing it .......... god! this is such a common theme on this site! ...... if people don't listen when you ask them nicely then they deserve everything they get.

If you're really determined not to upset or offend him, then tell him you don't want to be around him 'for the time being' ..... until he gets his act together ..... and then STICK TO THAT!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts