Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that I can think of is when your car doesn't work, they can pick you up, that's all, I do not consider the work place a social environment, never did I, only way it would be for me is if it was something I really enjoyed doing. I wish people didn't know my real name at work, sucks, they try to get personal with me, asking me personal questions, I should of just made up a fake name since the beginning, I won't make friends with anyone there just for the fact that they work there, I don't want people to know anything about my personal life and that includes friends I'm with, etc...

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Feel the same way about my work place -- Extended High School cliques, and the people getting promoted are the ones making friends.

First day of work went with an alias and gave a story to HR about why it differs from my legal name and it stuck for 5 years now.

Nowadays, can't get work done without collaborating with others, so changed somewhat over time on this viewpoint. However, it has always been easier for me to give help, and always a pain to ask others for help.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
This is why my jobs hardly ever last more than a few months, because by that time people start expecting to know personal details about you. And they get pissed when i dont offer that information, and thats when the whispering and rumours start. I just wanna come in, do my work and then go home. I dont want to know the life stories of a bunch of people i have zero interest in thanks.

·
B 2 Lonely
1,077 Posts
sometimes it's nice relating to coworkers. i almost bank on it with new employees. they might help me make connections, along the way. in the workplace, it really is all about who you know, which is how i went from bagging groceries to a city job.

as far as personal information goes, i guess at my work, it isnt shared too much. we know colors, sports teams, fav trip destinations, but not much as far as how many children someone has or even their spouses' names. so you can be selective about the info you share - i think the other stuff is just to liven up or get to know where ppl are coming from. you don't want to get too personal, of course, but just enough to make conversation.

i work with a lot of women in the offices, and all i hear about are diets for 50+ women, dressing up and buying clothes. they also seem to talk a lot about actors and hot sports guys. makes me feel like they are not working, as i have been pegged in the past for talking too much. kind of annoying.

as my situation, i just can't ask too personal either, or it comes off as harassment, so i have to watch what i say all the time around the women at work. work related humor can be fun too, sometimes.

·
Pobody's Nerfect
330 Posts
Dude screw ppl at work, everyone wants to be a prick because you dont want to be buddy-buddy with them. Every place I work people want to be all up in my shi*. I wanna work and then go home and unwind and get ready for the next shi*astic day.

ShinAkuma- your a cool mofo, ive been reading all your threads

I absolutely hate when people want you to disclose personal info. In my most recent job, boss was telling me about his failed marriage and how he decides to hook up with old gf who has kids. Moves her out, only to decide he wants to kick her to curb after only 2 wks. She loses her car and most of her belongings as a result of this. Im thinking, jesus this guy is an *******. He claims he doesnt drink much but gets wasted off one tall boy, his words not mine(closet alcoholic). TMI!!! He volunteered this info.

Then last week he goes on calling me unmotivated and naive. Im thinking again, really!?!, wtf!?! This is one when I quit, couldnt take it. Had to work with this clown everday and his ******* bro(man,he was another story too).

Btw..i gave them a fake name too, until it came time to get paid(i was independent contractor) and got shi* for that too.

·
totally destroying it
4,484 Posts
I work in retail/printing so I don't see it the same way. I could care less about promotions, so if I befriend my boss it's because it makes the workplace bearable. Same goes with the rest of my coworkers. The small talk/chit chat is also practice, I suppose.

I can say with all honesty that while I haven't nor see myself making actual friends at work, I like socializing with them while at work. It makes the day go by faster and there's nothing better than *****ing about customers with a fellow coworker.

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
that I can think of is when your car doesn't work, they can pick you up, that's all, I do not consider the work place a social environment, never did I, only way it would be for me is if it was something I really enjoyed doing. I wish people didn't know my real name at work, sucks, they try to get personal with me, asking me personal questions, I should of just made up a fake name since the beginning, I won't make friends with anyone there just for the fact that they work there, I don't want people to know anything about my personal life and that includes friends I'm with, etc...
I think work is one of the most social place there is. People who get ahead are the ones that get along well. Hierarchy is negotiated via social status, too. Making friends at work is crucial to being successful. Although those friends are never your real friends. It's a game. The person who plays it best wins (you can learn how to play it - I am getting a little better now).

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
If I am going to spend 40 hours a week at work I intend to make it as enjoyable and rewarding as possible. A lot of jobs require some kind of team work if you work on projects etc and it certainly helps if everyone is capable of getting along and having equal input into discussions. It's a pretty good place to make friends as well I have found.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.