Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to see my doctor recently about some new medication for my SAD and she said she could only offer me either citalopram, which I've tried and didn't help, or fluoxetine (prozac). I took the fluoxetine because I'm desperate for something to change, and she said she couldn't offer me anything else. What pisses me off is that she seemed to know **** all about SAD and had to get out a book to see what it was and what tablets she could offer me. I feel so stuck, and like no one can help me. :( How can I get meds that will actually help my SAD?

·
Registered
676 Posts
If thats all she will prescribe then you could either use her to try a couple more ssri's or maybe snri's (maybe she doesn't differentiate or understand there is a difference between SSRI's and SNRI's), or if you want to try a different class of meds as soon as possible than you will just need to get a new doc. That's a pain in the *** though, sorry to hear she is wasting your time.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Get a better doctor?

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Definately speak up or get another doctor. I'm having trouble and mis-understanding with a new doctor as well about some treatment.

It takes courage but we are in charge of our health. You are in control.

·
Banned
2,689 Posts
OP is in the UK so we know for sure they're not getting benzos.

You Brits once overthrew a monarchy; perhaps about time you guys overthrow the anti-benzo element of your NHS.
On one thread you say benzos are too weak and liqour is better, on this thread you want the Brits to overthrow the government so they can get benzos. Well, maybe the Brits don't need benzos cuz there is a pub on every corner.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
On one thread you say benzos are too weak and liqour is better, on this thread you want the Brits to overthrow the government so they can get benzos. Well, maybe the Brits don't need benzos cuz there is a pub on every corner.
I know Brits have access to booze. Last summer I got a call from one who after being refused benzos or MAOIs by his NHS doc bought a liter of vodka and then called me raging drunk five hours into drinking most of that bottle.

Perhaps organizing a peaceful pro-benzo movement might be an option to try before lynching the Prime Minister.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, people :) I'm going to make an appointment with another doctor and hope they will be a bit more understanding.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I'm from Europe and have an open minded Pdoc. He gave me Klonopin and Jatrosom (Parnate) in the past. He's oldschool but cool. ;)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Psychiatrist

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh. Thanks. How would I get to see a psychiatrist? I live in the UK and don't have the money to see someone privately. Is it something I could ask my doctor about? Could they refer me?

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah my GP gave me prozac which is a beta blocker. It's my own fault for not explaining properly I guess. I do get physical symptoms of anxiety but not in all social situations. Usually, I feel extremely self-conscious and my mind goes totally blank. I don't think the GP would've understood that and would probably have told me I don't actually have a problem!

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
I don't want to go down the benzo path because I have such an addictive personality and I have trouble with alcohol abuse so if I had benzo's I'd no doubt take them and drink and maybe commit suicide that way.
Bad idea, I'm givin ssri's a go.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to hear that, Phibes. :( I hope SSRIs work for you. I found that citalopram helped stabilise my mood and I was less oversensitive to certain things that would really get to me when I wasn't taking them.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Where in Europe? I've never heard of anyone getting Klonopin in the UK where it is apparently only allowed for treatment of seizures.
Near Germany.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.