1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I would go if it wasn't for the fact that I get motion sick easily. I'd need to be on Dramamine 24-7 if I was going to space.

"Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact, it's cold as Hell
And there's no one there to raise them if you did.
And all this science I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week
A rocket maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I'm a rocket man."
- Elton John

·
📝📸🎬💾🎲&#991
6,584 Posts
If it weren't for the 20 minute ping times I'd go, but that's worse than dialup, I'd never survive.

·
Banned
2,768 Posts
there's really no need to send a human there to die...humans will need to use equipment to do any worthwhile scientific work, which Im sure we could build robots to do.

really, the only space travel humans need to do are our satellites/all the other stuff, if/when we colonize another planet, or if we find life (depending on the kind of life...if its microscopic then we still dont need humans to do anything hands-on)

but id go if you give me a dirt bike, corn dogs, and water that'd last 40 years

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,035 Posts
That's an interesting article, the Discovery Channel had a great series of documentaries & even a mini drama about sending man to Mars which was interesting as well. For anyone actually interested in this type of thing I suggest you look it up as well as read the books Red Mars & Green Mars. That book series actually has 4 parts but I've only read those 2 & I love them, I've read them both multiple times

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I don't really like the idea of a military presence on another planet. We need some scientist/scholar/adventurer types like in Jules Verne books.

But yeah, if you go to Mars you should plan on being there a while. I read a plan a while ago that involved sending an unmanned spacecraft to be a return vehicle that would start producing breathable air and fuel from the enviornment on Mars. Then when the manned mission follows they have some resourses to use and a way home eventually.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
That's an interesting article, the Discovery Channel had a great series of documentaries & even a mini drama about sending man to Mars which was interesting as well. For anyone actually interested in this type of thing I suggest you look it up as well as read the books Red Mars & Green Mars. That book series actually has 4 parts but I've only read those 2 & I love them, I've read them both multiple times
You should read the third part "Blue Mars". I haven't read the last one either. I think it's a bunch of short stories that take place within the other books.
Also the nonfiction book I was talking about is "The Case For Mars" by Robert Zubrin.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, here are more cool pictures of Mars!!!

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well there are many reason why Mars doesn't support life. The planet is too small therefore its weak gravity is unable to sustain a thick atmosphere. The planet's weak gravity prevents it from having a Magnetosphere and thus is ravaged by the sun's intense radiation. It is believed that Mars was once a habitable planet in the past but because of its smaller size its core cooled much faster then the Earth's. The core of a planet generates the magnetosphere and strong gravity sustains it. I hope I answered your question. :) Thanks for responding to my thread.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
In twenty years time we may have the technology to send people there and bring them back. The resources would be better spent on research and development of that technology than sending a group of geologists on a one way trip to barren wasteland. They'd probably go crazy, man. Science is exciting, but at our core we are all human and you don't exactly how you are going to react until you are there and the reality hits you like a brick to the stomach.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Thread reminded me of the movie "Rocket Man." Funny stuff.

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
Sign me up!,any planet is better than this one.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I volunteer my ex-father in law for this one-way trip.
Planet earth would be much better off without him.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I volunteer my ex-father in law for this one-way trip.
Planet earth would be much better off without him.
:lol Yeah there are plenty of people who I would like to send to Mars

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are some more photos of Mars

1 - 19 of 19 Posts