Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have this very "prickly" secretary at work, who's elderly, and doesn't hesitate to tell you what's on her mind, even if it's not what you want hear. Doesn't matter who it is - the boss, or a client. Her attitude has landed her in hot water many times. IOW, she's pretty much the salty New Englander type - very difficult please. The boss only keeps her around because she's a good bookkeeper...and a member of her congregation. You get the picture.

So, you can imagine my surprise when she presented me with a gift at work today. It was the table game "Pass the Pig", which is like dice, except, well, you roll tiny rubber pigs. A couple of weeks ago, we had quite a bit of downtime in between clients, so we chatted for a while and I learned that this was her FAVORITE game. I confessed that I'd never heard of it, which she was shocked by, because (apparently) it's very POPULAR. In fact, there were quite a few games that she mentioned that I didn't know - I told her that I was more into video games. (In reality, I've always avoided board games, as they often involved "put me on the spot" quick decisions...totally setting off my anxiety).

So, even though what she did was REALLY no big deal, I was still touched by her gesture. Because, in a way, it was a small victory in that I, a person with SA, was able to connect with this difficult person when many others could not. Even the boss.

We ended up playing several games during our downtime. It was (actually) a lot of fun. :)

Okay, sapfest over. Thank you for enduring my terrible writing skills and numerous grammatical errors. :lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_the_Pigs

ETA- Oh, and I'm sure that she wasn't being nice to me out of pity, either. I'm pretty good at picking that up. Ah, us SA people...always over-analyzing everything. ;)

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Congrats.

I have never heard of that game either. I also don't know what a "salty New Englander" is. I'm out of touch with todays culture.
Thanks. Generally speaking: a "salty old New Englander" is a no BS, no nonsense, hardworking, extremely honest, bible readin', outspoken, short tempered, but generally good mannered (unless you cross them) individual. Often takes the r's out of words when talking, eg: cah, instead of car. Puts an "r" at the end of words that end in "a" eg: Obamar for Obama. :lol The definition can vary...

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Hey, that's great. I can picture the type of person. Have worked with them before. Basically intimidating to me. I never heard of that game either. That is really neat sounding. I love interesting board games or games that aren't video oriented. I like something I can touch with pieces in front of me. Or sports games.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
You must have made a good impression on her-sounds like quite a feat with her. Now,I'm very curious about that game,tossing piggies-it sounds so cute!

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ Thank you both. Yeah, it's a cute game. It came with a water filled pen with a little piggy floating in it...I guess you could call it a "pig pen." (Bad joke, I know.)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh, I suddenly remember playing this somewhere. Cute :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts