Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to meet with someone in several days to talk to them and I don't know if I can do this! I really want to at the same time I would rather just forget about it! Anyone know of anyways that I can get through it? I don't know what I think is so scary or hard about it, but I think maybe I am just worried that I won't have anything to say, won't be able to talk, won't be able to act normally, won't have normal eye contact and that ill freak out in front of them!

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Is it just a casual encounter? not work related or anything? If not I find the easiest way to start a good conversation with lots of content is to simply ask if and what they are studying, why they chose those path and how they are enjoying it etc. Hopefully by the end of that you would be settled enough to chat about anything.

I also find it helps if I sit myself in a position where I can see the street and people walking past, that way I am not as forced to stare at them compared to if I was just facing a wall.

Otherwise it's just about trying to relax, drink water and realise that a lot of the time they are also nervous. The anticipatory anxiety is always so much worse.

Good luck! You can do it!!

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it just a casual encounter? not work related or anything? If not I find the easiest way to start a good conversation with lots of content is to simply ask if and what they are studying, why they chose those path and how they are enjoying it etc. Hopefully by the end of that you would be settled enough to chat about anything.

I also find it helps if I sit myself in a position where I can see the street and people walking past, that way I am not as forced to stare at them compared to if I was just facing a wall.

Otherwise it's just about trying to relax, drink water and realise that a lot of the time they are also nervous. The anticipatory anxiety is always so much worse.

Good luck! You can do it!!
Thanks! I also might meet up with an old friend of mine too which will be completely casual/just for fun (which I don't know if Ill do that yet!) but for this thing, um...It's somewhat casual, but not work related and not exactly school, but it is like a class...so I will be learning about something, one on one. Kind of like a tutor.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Oh ok, well that gives you a main topic of discussion I guess, so if you feel lost for things to talk about I guess you could always bring what you are there for up again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts