Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Einsiedler
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I think of this I'm reminded of the quote "If you never fall down, you never learn how to get back up". I think some types of struggle are a necessary 'evil' in life. It is this struggle that defines you and hones inner-strength and is a conduit for us to make it to a better state of affairs.

The struggle may be exercise, getting out of the house, applying for a job, getting your GED, anything you find difficult, but at some level desire to do. (But of course use reasonable thinking).

So I say to everyone, go do what you find difficult. Go do what you've been wanting to do but been too afraid to. And if you 'fail' remember "fall seven times, stand up eight."
In other words, you're okay, you haven't really failed at all. Take it as a learning experience. Because you can always dust yourself off again, however many times that takes, and stand back up. How bad do you want it? Life's too short.

While I type this I am in similar situations to a lot of you. I'm afraid of so many things. Social situations, failing, falling into oblivion and so on. But I have risen above the fear before and in doing so I have been able make it to a better place emotionally and physically. That's why I began exercising. I was afraid. But if I didn't tried, nothing would ever happen. So I did it, and it was difficult, but it paid off and I'm better for it.

I still have so much more I want to do and achieve in my life, and I'm still afraid but I will not allow that to stop me. The question is, how badly do you want it? Sometimes I don't care, and sometimes I believe absolutely nothing will go right, but right now I want it bad.

Especially as I look at this stale existence I've found myself in.

Update: Maybe this is the wrong forum category. I might post it somewhere else.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You,re totally right, experiences in life define what you are, failures are also an important part of it. They may not be pleasant (failures) but you learn from them. I've made good progress on my anxiety, of course SA is very unpleasant, it cripple you in such a subtle way than no one else may ever notice it , but in the end i'm glad i went trought that path, because i wouldnt be what i am today if i didn't, and i'm very proud of what efforts i made, it never was easy nor fun to go out of my comfort zone, but in the end i built a confidence, not the greatest, but it is unshakable because i've built it with my own hands. So of course going out of your comfort zone is very important in my opinion. I strongly encourage people to do so it will only pay in the end if you put what efforts are required.

·
Registered
64 Posts
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain

·
still delicious
3,038 Posts
I want to add another quote too:
"Verily the lust for comfort murders the passion of the soul, and then walks grinning in the funeral" — Khalil Gibran

I don't want to deny myself the potential of living a life I find fulfilling just because of fear. Fear and doubt can rile me as much as it wants, but it's still passive. It's all in my head. I on the other hand can actually get things done. I only need to choose to. Day by day, I'm taking tiny steps of getting further out of my comfort zone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts