Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'd have to say one of my biggest obstacles is going to be trying to get a job. I just graduated high school and I failed to sign up for college because I don't drive yet, so I have quite a few months of sitting at home doing nothing and my family is bugging me to no end to get a job. And it's really putting me down because I know I need one and I wouldn't mind making some money and overcoming this obstacle but... I just get so freaked out when thinking about it. Sometimes it puts me into such despair that I start thinking I'll just kill myself to avoid it. (Yes, those are my serious thoughts.)

It's really rediculous but I can't seem to lessen the fear in any way. I have intense fear of every step. I have nightmares about asking for an application, getting the call, having to call them back, going on an interview (who should I ask when I get there about having this interview, what are they going to ask me), if I get it what happens then? Do they give me a uniform or do I buy my own? Would they tell me this or do I ask? When I come in the first day, do I ask some random worker to help me and show me around or would they be waiting there to help me? For some reason I freak about the 'clocking in' part, what if they don't explain the concept to me and I end up not doing it and not getting paid? What if, what if, what if?

Stupid I know. But I always assumed it's become of my stupid SA that I worry and fear every little detail of what could happen.

I did succeed in handing in one application. I printed one off the Barnes&Noble website, (avoiding human interaction), and I went in and was waiting for this one lady at the customer service desk, she looked older and more in charge. But this teenager came over instead and I became overly flustered. (I get worse when in contact with people my own age.) And I asked if he was hiring and he said he didn't know but I could fill out an app. I awkwardly said I already did, handed him my scarcely filled in app. He just stared at me. I said 'okay..." and backed away slowly, raising my hand in farewell. And it haunts me even to this day. I become such a fool and a retard in these situations.

So... what I'm asking is, how do you people get jobs?!

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
So... what I'm asking is, how do you people get jobs?!
Just getting one (especially in this economy) can be a bit difficult. But the really hard part comes after you get it and realize you don't really want a job. That's what sucks.

Getting one is a matter of putting in an application at the right place at the right time and being the person they're looking for. IT's all chance and luck and all that stuff.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
If it's a paper app. and not on the computer, then when you go to turn it in ask for the manager and give it to that person. If they don't interview you on the spot then they will most likely set up an appointment. Ask someone where to go if they don't tell you. The interview quetions will probably be the standard ones that you can look up on the internet mixed in with maybe a personal one that the interviewer came up with. They will tell you what you need to wear and will probably assign someone to you to show you the ropes. They will also tell you what to do about clocking in.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
The interview quetions will probably be the standard ones that you can look up on the internet
Thing about it is these questions are pretty standard for a reason. They're amazingly effective at outing anyone who has any undesirable characteristics at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts