Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

In general, how would the people being asked respond?

• Ignore them

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Say they'll like to do it, but end up not setting up a time with them

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Just say "no"; that they don't want to do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just say "no"; they don't have the time to do it at the moment

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other. Explain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, on Facebook, what do people do if others message them, but they don't want to comply?

Like if one sees someone on Facebook that they haven't seen in a while and they want to reconnect so they ask the other person to do something with them, but the other person does not want to do it, how does the person who does not want to reconnect at the moment answer?

·
is trying.
714 Posts
Pretend you have stuff to do all the time. And if they IM you, you can sign off or go invisible (I think we can still do that), and if they follow up, say you have a bad connection or didn't see them or were away or something. Also brb or gtg are usually not questioned.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
Most people sycophantically feign acquiesence, I prefer the more uncompromising "block" button.

The problem with people's approach of acting delighted to hear from you, or pretending to be busy, is that it that it might be they really are busy or happy to hear from you so, so this kind of second-hand-car-salesman false-friendship approach is useless and manipulative. You don't wanna talk to someone block them, it saves both of you time and humiliation.

·
housecat
83 Posts
Most people sycophantically feign acquiesence, I prefer the more uncompromising "block" button.

The problem with people's approach of acting delighted to hear from you, or pretending to be busy, is that it that it might be they really are busy or happy to hear from you so, so this kind of second-hand-car-salesman false-friendship approach is useless and manipulative. You don't wanna talk to someone block them, it saves both of you time and humiliation.
I don't like "blocking" people. If I'm not interested in meeting with someone, it's better to come off as aloof than an outright jerk. While I get what you're saying, I disagree. Most people can sense when someone truly wants to see them versus when they're just saying so to be polite, so there's really nothing manipulative or humiliating about it. And for the few that can't figure out such intricacies, well, too bad.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
And for the few that can't figure out such intricacies, well, too bad.
I guess being in that minority makes me somewhat biased on the issue, because while I'm not autistic I have a similar related disorder which affects my understanding of such social nuances and I postively despise these sorts of subtleties - if people don't like me I'd rather they ****ed off than pretended that they did in a special way which is meant to imply that they don't :|

1 - 6 of 6 Posts