Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
:int :thanks my shrink had brought up omega-3s as a possible 'starter' mood stabilizer for me because of the low side effect profile; this makes me want to reevaluate it.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I decided to try it out. I have played around with fish oil before but didn't find the results satisfactory for a couple of reasons. First off, it was a lot of pills to get up to the 3-6 grams of EPA/DHA that's generally recommended for depression; often a dozen or two per day. That's a little annoying. Also it gave me fishy burps. That may sound fairly innocuous, but it's pretty bad because you end up with breath that smells... well, like fish. And then also, it didn't seem to help the depression.

In retrospect, I didn't take them long enough. Apparently you may need to take them for 2-3 months for them to work. Also, today at the grocery store I found something very very cool: extra-strength enterically coated fish oil pills. The extra strength pills have roughly twice the EPA/DHA, so you can take half as many pills. And the enteric coating means no fishy breath, which is VERY much an improvement and actually makes it a manageable Tx method.

It's pretty cost effective, especially if bought in bulk. A month's supply should run me about $10-30 depending on the dosage, which is low-moderate versus most prescription meds. So I'm going to give it a shot! I'm pretty optimistic, I think it's going to help at least augment my current meds. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.