Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2005 Oct 20;

Red cell membrane omega-3 fatty acids are decreased in nondepressed patients with social anxiety disorder.

Green P, Hermesh H, Monselise A, Marom S, Presburger G, Weizman A.

The "phospholipid hypothesis" attributes a pathophysiologic role to the polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) composition of phospholipids in depression. The aim of the present study was to determine whether the hypothesis is relevant to social anxiety disorder (SAD). The study sample consisted of 27 untreated, nondepressed patients with SAD (DSM-IV) and 22 controls. Severity of SAD was assessed with the Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale (LSAS). Erythrocyte PUFA concentrations were measured by gas-liquid chromatography. Concentrations of most n-3 PUFAs were lower in the patients: 18:3n-3 by 32% (p<0.002), 20:3n-3 by 34%, 20:5n-3 by 36% (all p<0.001) and 22:6n-3 by 18% (p=0.002). No significant differences were observed in other fatty acids. Significant inverse correlations were obtained between levels of n-3 PUFAs and LSAS scores. In conclusion, the phospholipid hypothesis may apply to SAD, thereby opening new therapeutic options. The robust relationship between low erythrocyte n-3 PUFA concentrations and SAD justifies exploration of relevant neuropathophysiological mechanisms.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
:int :thanks my shrink had brought up omega-3s as a possible 'starter' mood stabilizer for me because of the low side effect profile; this makes me want to reevaluate it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I say give it a try. I get as much as possible. Fish liver oil gel caps, fish (especially salmon), and walnuts all contain omega-3. Watch your fish consumption though; mercury levels could be a problem.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I decided to try it out. I have played around with fish oil before but didn't find the results satisfactory for a couple of reasons. First off, it was a lot of pills to get up to the 3-6 grams of EPA/DHA that's generally recommended for depression; often a dozen or two per day. That's a little annoying. Also it gave me fishy burps. That may sound fairly innocuous, but it's pretty bad because you end up with breath that smells... well, like fish. And then also, it didn't seem to help the depression.

In retrospect, I didn't take them long enough. Apparently you may need to take them for 2-3 months for them to work. Also, today at the grocery store I found something very very cool: extra-strength enterically coated fish oil pills. The extra strength pills have roughly twice the EPA/DHA, so you can take half as many pills. And the enteric coating means no fishy breath, which is VERY much an improvement and actually makes it a manageable Tx method.

It's pretty cost effective, especially if bought in bulk. A month's supply should run me about $10-30 depending on the dosage, which is low-moderate versus most prescription meds. So I'm going to give it a shot! I'm pretty optimistic, I think it's going to help at least augment my current meds. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
thecurerules said:
flax seed/oil is good too.
yup, flax seed oil is a better source for Omega 3's. I just take a tablespoon of flax seed oil each day. Tastes ok

As for anxiety disorders, yes, it helps. It's pretty complicated. And your body also can't develop Omega 3 on it's own, so if levels are low, then it just means your diet isn't providing it.

Essential supplement that is definately over-looked. :banana

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mobile363 said:
yup, flax seed oil is a better source for Omega 3's. I just take a tablespoon of flax seed oil each day.
The omega-3 oil rich in flax seed is alpha-linolenate. It can be converted in body to the omega-3 oils rich in fish (EPA and DHA).

i.e. alpha-linolenate>>>>EPA>>>>>DHA

Flax seed oil may be a better option because it doesn't have as much lipid peroxidation potential as fish oils (EPA and DHA) as it has fewer double bonds (3 as opoosed to 6). And it tastes better. The only negative is that it is kinda expensive. Walnuts and green vegetables are also a source of this oil. Flax seed oil also needs to be refrigerated. Either way increasing omega-3's is probably good for overall heath.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts