Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how an old supervisor works as a reference. My last job was 4 years ago, and at this point I really have no idea if she: A) even still works there, B) would even remember me in the event that a potential employer calls. I don't know even have a direct phone number for her anymore, so I just use the companies main number in hopes that they can transfer the call to her if someone were to call.

I don't know if this matters much, but the company also changed names or was bought out, so I'm curious if the HR department would even still have a record of the people who worked there under the old company name?

·
"Semi-retired" SAS Member
1,006 Posts
I have a similar problem with one of the past employers listed in my resume. I left nearly 6 years ago. I'm pretty sure the woman who was my supervisor for most of the time I was there (and when l left) is long gone. It's very high-turnover workplace, and I wonder if anyone there still remembers me. The best I can hope for is that the personnel office could at least verify the fact that I was employed there.

I'm guessing that most larger companies keep employment records for something like 7 or 10 years, if not longer. An example of a situation where they might need it is to avoid re-hiring someone they fired in the recent past!

Also many companies have a no-reference policy; they will only verify things like dates of employment, job descriptions, and eligibilty for rehire, and no more.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Probably best you'll be able to get is a reference as far as you did work there and didn't have any disiplinary actions. If you were a longterm employee before who made a direct impression on your former supervisor IF you can contact that supervisor maybe but don't count on it.

I tend to usually just list a number if any or no number for a former employer. I think its pretty common if the employer is more then 2 years old. Its a given that people move around in a buisiness, buisiness close, restrcuture, people change jobs.

I suggest using references you've been in contact regularly for the last 2 years. If you haven't try and think of some. If on a resume put "references available on request". Thats generally accepted since people tend to not like giving out others contact info unless asked for it.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Yes, and they will ask you directly if they need to use your references.

Reactions: Dying note
1 - 4 of 4 Posts