Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should someone ask you if you're ok, if anything is wrong?

What excuses do you come up with?

Do you give a full blown confession, "Oh, I'm just having a panic attack"

Hopefully someday, that phrase will be the norm.

There are so many of us, suffering in silence.

You may have past 10 people in one week, with this disorder, but we will never know.

Why can't someone big and strong enough, bring this out of the dark, and give it recognition?

Would anyone believe my excuses, should I use them?

"I get shaky, if I've been without sugar too long."

"I have that skin allergy called, rosacea.(sp) red face and neck.

"I'm going through menopause, so I'm hot and flushed."

me on my soap box.

jenky

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
jenkydora said:
Why can't someone big and strong enough, bring this out of the dark, and give it recognition?
They have charity balls for AIDS, runs for breast cancer, MS, Alzheimer's, and even my Wisconsin State Tax Form has a line asking if I'd like to donate to breast cancer research. For some reason, I have yet to ever see any charity event to support anxiety research. I guess we're just too shy to complain as loudly as other special interest groups and demand special status & priority for our problems.

·
Registered
880 Posts
UltraShy said:
jenkydora said:
They have charity balls for AIDS, runs for breast cancer, MS, Alzheimer's, and even my Wisconsin State Tax Form has a line asking if I'd like to donate to breast cancer research. For some reason, I have yet to ever see any charity event to support anxiety research. I guess we're just too shy to complain as loudly as other special interest groups and demand special status & priority for our problems.
I'd love to see that too. It seems that SA isn't taken very seriously by most people, unfortunately. Maybe it'll happen someday though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tell the whole thruth. But when I'm having a panic attack my ears don't hear and I have tunnel vision. It's just head for the nearest exit and ignore those between me and the door and maybe run over a few unfortunates that step in the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know exactly how you feel paxil.. When I get an anxiety attack I just want to run for the nearest exit, and i dont care what anynone thinks of me.. afterward when IM calm , I freak out again because I know everyone is confused on whats wrong with me..

·
Registered
57 Posts
UltraShy said:
jenkydora said:
I noticed that the Anxiety Disorder Association of America web site is offering blue "Triumph" over anxiety bands like the pink ones for breast cancer and the yellow Lance Armstrong ones. I thought this was really cool. Then, I thought, "I'd never wear that outside my house, because I'd have to explain it to people and then they would know..." It's really unfortunate that the nature of Social Anxiety keeps it under-recognized, probably under-researched and definitely misunderstood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feel like running away too, when I'm having an attack. I'm almost having one right now, because my husband is going to be away for the weekend and I'm petrified of being alone. I'm just trying to concetrate on the fact that I have to go to work soon. That is almost worse, but I don't know what else to do. I'm not quite sure what to tell people. I've actually found myself calling in "sick" on really bad days. Sittting around by myself doesn't really make matters any better. My co-workers are aware of my condition, but, as we all know, it's very hard for people to understand what it's like if they've never been through it. I'm scared I'm going to be like this forever!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts