Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin just asked me to go to the movies with her and her friend....and my first thought was how do I get out of this?????? Oh good grief how do I get out of this!

Instead I asked whoelse was going. But I'm already nervous about it. My fiance, my safety blanket lol, won't be there and I know I'll go silent.

Oh God so she just told me it'll be her, her boyfriend, her friend, her friend's sister and her boyfriend's sister. NO WAY! I don't know any of these people!

Ahhhhhhhhh how do I turn her down without sounding like a weirdo :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whew saved by the bell, she logged off AIM because she was leaving work. I'm safe for now....lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just tell her you don't feel like going, maybe another time, you're busy tonight, you're tired, you know. If they are just going to see a movie, maybe you won't really have to talk? I know people usually go places afterwards, though. Do you have your own car? Maybe you could go see it with them then head on home? If you reallyyyy don't want to go, then don't. I am sure they won't think it's a big deal, they'll be too busy between themselves to really mind if you're not there. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're going this Friday at 2:30pm...so I'm guessing they will do something afterwards since it'll be so early and a Friday. I live in NYC so no car for me lol She knows I'm not busy so I can't use that excuse. I know the other people won't care if I don't go since they don't know me. It's more my cousin I'm worried about. And not worried just that I hate that SA is making me flake on her.

My cousin and I used to be really close as children but then drifted apart as teenagers. We've slowly regained some contact in the last two years or so and I just wish she'd invite me to hang out alone with her first before I'm thrown into her group of friends :\

Thanks for your reply! :)

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Well even if you're quiet try to sound enthused when you're talking with them and they will probably assume you're quiet, but they won't think you hate them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, it's okay if you don't go. There will always be opportunities. But, if you're wanting to overcome your SA, maybe you should go! It might seem terrifying and overwhelming, but you'll be proud of yourself for doing it. And if it doesn't go well, you don't ever have to go again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
And you never know-- you might make another group of friends by going.

I was invited by a friend of mine to hang out at her house for the first time. When I got there, there were 5 other people there and I was freaking OUT. I didn't let it get to me, and now they're my closest group of friends.

You never know what could happen! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts