Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Only if I don't know them too well and I say something that affects deep down. They usually don't say anything except silently delete you off your FB, then they get really nasty around you. I'm pretty sure I've offended a lot of people on here just voicing my mind out, though I give them the option of ignoring me if they don't like it.

In real life social situations, I do joke around and say a few quips here and there. I've gotten better this year at holding back any crude vulgar jokes that might offend a person.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes. It has to due with my undeveloped social skills and the self-doubt I experience when talking to others. I will say things that should be put somewhat delicately in order to avoid offending someone, but I blurt it out bluntly and I come across as rude and abrasive.

·
serious
340 Posts
Shut up , you're all stupid :p

Oops there I go again. ;)

I (usually) only offend people when I intend to, or often, when they are too stupid to understand what I'm saying, and get upset for the wrong reason.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
you are cute. I don't think i offend people idk i just keep it real

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I do apparently sometimes (not constantly) offend people on forums without meaning to. I don't know if I have any particular tendency to do it, since I think it's possible that happens to everyone. To my knowledge and recollection, it's never happened when communicating in writing with people I know in real life, but I still worry about the possibility.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I think the fact that I'm an atheist when like 99% of the people I know are either muslim or christian causes people to be offended.

I also like dialoguing/debating and people tend to interpret this as being hostile when it's not the case at all. I just enjoy exchanging or challenging ideas and concepts.

Just the other day a family member of mine asked me to go to church and I replied "No thanks, I don't do church" I could kind of tell the person was offended afterward.

this all seems to pour over onto my online activity also

·
Registered
576 Posts
Do you feel like when you talk or write on forums that you have a tendency to offend friends or acquaintances constantly even if you don't intend to? Or is that just anxiety/insecurity talking?
I offend people a lot, and the explosion of anger directed at me always comes as a surprise. I never see it coming, which makes it all the more frightening. That's probably why I'm so alone: the combination of being offensive, and fearing the anger of others which results from that. The social world is a rough place for an offensive person.

·
Stranger
238 Posts
I would say it's mostly an insecurity issue. If you're unintentionally offending people, you must be talking about very sensitive topics. Then I would say it's not.

·
still delicious
3,038 Posts
I offend people by dropping out of conversations because I get bored and am so introverted that my need to be alone leaks onto the internet too.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would say it's mostly an insecurity issue. If you're unintentionally offending people, you must be talking about very sensitive topics. Then I would say it's not.
It's always something different each time. It's hard to see a pattern in it. Some people seem to think I'm giving them dirty looks, which is something I'm completely unconscious of. Even one therapist seemed to think I was giving him dirty looks. Odd, because I actually had a crush on him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts