Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oddities with my S.A. I can stand in front of a crowd and present.. but...

..not be able to chat up up any of the girls in the crowd, specifically.

Strangely enough , I feel no problems presenting in front of an audience.

Heck I could even go and sing on stage or play guitar or whatever. If i'm on stage I can do what ever I want.

But... I still don't like parties. I would feel more comfortable performing on stage for 5 hours,.. than to try and chat up a girl on the dance floor.

I think its because it has a structure that you can follow. Making a speech is structured, a song has a structure. But impressing a girl involves a level of inventiveness I have yet to fathom :blank.

·
Registered
112 Posts
interesting...i kind feel the same way. i say no to social gatherings all the time but then again i used to work in front of lots of people and actually talk during a meeting did not bother much. but for parties and social gatherings i either i find an excuse not to go or just prepared myself to be able to act myself in front of people. ?????

·
Registered
529 Posts
..not be able to chat up up any of the girls in the crowd, specifically.

Strangely enough , I feel no problems presenting in front of an audience.

Heck I could even go and sing on stage or play guitar or whatever. If I'm on stage I can do what ever I want.

But... I still don't like parties. I would feel more comfortable performing on stage for 5 hours,.. than to try and chat up a girl on the dance floor.

I think its because it has a structure that you can follow. Making a speech is structured, a song has a structure. But impressing a girl involves a level of inventiveness I have yet to fathom :blank.
Exactly same here. Can practice & know what to expect. Know I'm ready/prepared.

All the potential variables & not coming out & being recieved as you'd like on the chat up/talk to business.

Not so many unknowns in the other things you described.

Just being prepared to be yourself in front of other people & not put to much weight in the outcome is of course the answer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Heck I could even go and sing on stage or play guitar or whatever. If i'm on stage I can do what ever I want.

But... I still don't like parties.
I am the exact same way. I play bass in a country band and I have no stage fright whatsoever. But I can't bring myself to socialize!

If someone doesn't like what i do onstage, it doesn't bother me, since everyone has different tastes. but if i get rejected socially, i take it more personally.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I TOTALLY agree. I've realized that it's because I have the security of a SCRIPT. Conversating is like improv...now that's scary!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts